Where does the 90 days come from?

For recovery discussion

Re: Where does the 90 days come from?

Postby Tosh » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:28 pm

Mary wrote:Hi,

Not done any research on this, not particularly inclined to but have heard (cant remember where but like it and it appeals to my internal logic) it takes 40 days to break a habit and 90 to learn a new one....

I've heard something similar, but the difference between a good habit and a bad habit is that it's easy to lose a good habit.

I think some folk get annoyed at the 90 x 90 thing because they think people are advocating that as a program, rather than pushing for recovery via the 12 Steps. I've heard stuff like "There isn't a numerical solution to a spiritual problem!" And I agree.

But with doing 90 in 90 it means you get to a bunch of different meetings, some good, some bad, some great; you will hear about the solution, you'll meet a lot of different folk and you'll have a better understanding of what A.A. is about. And hopefully they'll find a sponsor, a homegroup, some service, do the steps and recover.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby hardwoodstomps2 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:39 pm

I have heard (unconfirmed) that the 90/90 came from the Salvation Army who would allow a drunk to stay at their shelter contingent on them going to an A.A. meeting every day. the time limit for staying at the shelter was 90 days and then they were expected to leave.
hardwoodstomps2
Forums Newcomer

Postby Noels » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:09 am

Hello Hardwood :D I have no idea but welcome to e-aa :D
Xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:19 am

90 meetings in days is good advice but isn’t AA advice. There are many place that you couldn’t do that for the simple reason the wasn’t 90 meeting in 90 days to go to….and our trusted servants are aware of that.
Like many things people quote in AA they start using it because it sounds good. AA does suggests to attend a lot of meeting so you might hear someone that you relate to their story.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:49 am

I heard it comes from Treatment Centers and 90 day programs. Salvation Army sounds right though - it was probably around before the mass proliferation of treatment centers.

I have heard also "Stick around. We have a 90 day misery back guarantee!"
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:26 pm

I thought it was the judicial system that enforced this. I could be wrong. Fresh of the streets I could see a benefit. But folks already been exposed to AA in treatment facility and we in asking them to do 90 more meetings instead showing them the fatal progressive nature of the disease thats where I can't comprehend.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Roberth » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:44 pm

PaigeB wrote:I heard it comes from Treatment Centers and 90 day programs. Salvation Army sounds right though - it was probably around before the mass proliferation of treatment centers.

I have heard also "Stick around. We have a 90 day misery back guarantee!"

that another saying which sounds good but doesn't show up anywhere in our literature. Our literature does ask for the new person to give AA a try for a year. not to be confused with the saying no mayor change for a year which is also not AA's.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Previous

Return to Discussions