For Our e-AA Trusted Servants.

For recovery discussion
Frankie
Forums Enthusiast

For Our e-AA Trusted Servants.

Post by Frankie »

Are there any "rules" on quoting The Big Book, Twelve and Twelve, etc... I've looked around, but have not "seen" anything, (yet. :)

Thank you for your service.

happycamper
Forums Long Timer

Re: For Our e-AA Trusted Servants.

Post by happycamper »

Uhhhhh ... I dont think its against the rules to quote our own literature.

If it is, somebody who knows more than me will surely come along and let us know :D .
Faith without works is dead

Frankie
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Frankie »

:D Thank you happy!

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O »

Quote away, Frankie.
I'm sure you'll find it's done a lot 'round these parts :D

Frankie
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Frankie »

:D Good Morning and Thanks Mike :D

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho »

The USA copyright for our Basic Text was lost *many* years ago, and that makes it "public domain" with no restrictions for use. However, AAWS does still have copyrights in other countries, and so something like "used with permission" is typically deemed appropriate.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Doesn't AAWS have a copyright on the 4th edition?
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

From the AA web site, under "Intellectual Property Policies"
As stated in The A.A. Service Manual: “Local A.A. publications are permitted to quote a phrase, sentence or brief paragraph excerpted from A.A. literature such as The Big Book, Alcoholics Anonymous, the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, The A.A. Service Manual and Conference-approved pamphlets without a prior, written request to do so…, (accompanied by a credit line (that) should read: Reprinted from (name of publication, page number), with permission of A.A. World Services, Inc.)
It's hard to feel as if we are "publishing", since we are pretty much sharing as we would in a meeting. However, in a meeting, we would see the member feverishly turning pages or obviously reciting from memory. Here, we can do neither; in fact, it's a pretty safe bet that the member who is quoting is using Ctrl C, Ctrl V or right clicking on the ol' mouse. So in a sense we are publishing, especially when you consider that everything on this site becomes world-readable except for the stuff in the for-registered-only forums (where we in fact keep the Daily Reflections, for example).

There was one member here who worked in publishing, and he was stringent about adding the "Reprinted from . . ." line. He was however the exception rather than the rule.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho »

PaigeB wrote:Doesn't AAWS have a copyright on the 4th edition?
I do not know all the fine details, but yes, there are at least parts of the 4th edition that are copyrighted ... like the added stories. Back in the days of the discussions related to the thoughts of even publishing a 4th edition, some folks thought the matter of copyright was AAWS's reason behind wanting it, but I think it best to just stick with this in relation to that:
Because this book has become the basic text for our Society and has helped such large numbers of alcoholic men and women to recovery, there exists a sentiment against any radical changes being made in it. Therefore, the first portion of this volume (up to page 164), describing the A.A. recovery program, has been left untouched in the course of revisions made for both the second and the third editions ...

All changes made over the years in the Big Book (A.A. members' fond nickname for this volume) have had the same purpose: to represent the current membership of Alcoholics Anonymous more accurately, and thereby to reach more alcoholics.

("Preface", 3rd edition)
And then in conjunction with what you have said, Ann, I think it best such as in the online meetings here where something like "reprinted with permission" is typically posted. Whether or not there truly is any actual legal issue there, that still shows a bit of respect for the idea of our Basic Text always remaining our Basic Text.

On another note in relation to A.A. literature: Any A.A. group can print and publish anything it wishes and call it "A.A. literature", and it can do so without seeking permission from anyone. Said group should certainly do that with all Traditions and principles in mind, of course, but "Conference Approved" only means *all* A.A. groups have decided to call something "A.A. literature". So in the final analysis, we members of autonomous A.A. fellowships have complete control over what we publish ... and I speculate that might just be why God as anyone might understand God saw fit that our Basic Text (up to page 164) is now no longer owned by anyone anywhere! ;)

After all, we just need not concern ourselves with matters of money, property or prestige.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================