Day 3...and struggling (updated...day 14!)

For recovery discussion
SAWK551
Forums Newcomer

Re: Day 3...and struggling (updated...day 14!)

Post by SAWK551 »

Wow Jackie, you're doing great. I've been following your posts and am just tickled that you are making great progress, a day at a time. Please know that I don't judge what anyone thinks or feels as rubbish. We all work the program of AA in the ways we are led, by sponsors, etc... Saying that I am powerless over people, places and things means that I not going to try to control all those things. I have control issues, one of my many isms. For me to realize that I v'e never had power over how people will react, whether or not it will rain, or that the post office is just too far for me to walk means that I'm learning to live life on life's terms. Which means I won't have to drink over them, which means I can learn to accept people, places and things just the way they are. There is peace in this, for me.

Don't get me wrong, I still stand up for what I believe in, today I do it strictly for myself, not to try to change, control or impress. Usually it's just about me turning people places and things over to HP and nothing more. I am powerless but there is One who has all power. Just keep reading the Big Book and talking to your sponsor about what you read. Having a dictionary on hand while reading helped me a lot, too. Another thing I've learned is that how others feel or think about me...is none of my business. I don't set out to make enemies but sometimes people don't like me, no matter what I say or do. It's at those times when I realize my powerlessness over others. It's helped me accept that there are people who don't like me, it's got nothing to do with me, therefore it is none of my business. I just accept it and move on. The program of AA has given this gift of peace to me. There are many, many more gifts, as you'll find out the more you come around and work the program of AA. I'm so happy you are here.
With Love,
Sherri B>D

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

Welcome Sherri! Thanks for posting, great to see you here.

Ann in Sweden
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

LoriAnne
Forums Newcomer

Post by LoriAnne »

Well done Jacky. After treatment I got myself a sponsor but I fired her after two meetings because she said something I didn't agree with.but I did go to 90 meetings in 90 days as suggested,got my self a big book and started working the steps. I was fortunate I had my higher power just had to recover the relationship. I'm sober and clean 1 &1/2 years it has not been easy but it's nice to get rid of the fog. Prayer and lots of meetings and reading the daily readings rally helped. Oh ya I hated the slogans but today I try to live by them . Keep on keeping on and don't pick up that first drink or drug.

BruBru
Forums Newcomer

Post by BruBru »

Wow, 90 meetings in 90 days! Is that common? or is that exceptional? I know I'm impressed! Wow!

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh »

BruBru wrote:Wow, 90 meetings in 90 days! Is that common? or is that exceptional? I know I'm impressed! Wow!
I think it's good to 'live and breathe' A.A. in the early days, but when I got sober Mrs Tosh got angry; she'd lost me to drinking for many years, and then when I stopped drinking, she complained that she'd lost me to A.A.! We came to an agreement that I do no more than three A.A. related activities per week; something which I still try to adhere to. If I meet up with my sponsor or a sponsee, I count that as an A.A. related activity.

I believe in the early days of A.A., it was found from a survey that early A.A.ers just attended one A.A. meeting per week and one religious service per week.

And to be honest, once you experience how your internal condition can be pacified through going through the process of the 12 Step program, you really do not have to place a high dependence or reliance on meetings. The drinking problem will have been removed.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

Hi Brubru and welcome!

I heard 90 in 90 when I was first coming around. I heard some other things but I chose to follow this suggestion :-) Was a good thing for me, I was so clouded that I simply needed the exposure and the chance to show myself at meetings. Eventually, through making these meetings (following the directions), I heard other things, like getting a sponsor. This suggestion confused the heck out of me but by going to a lot of meetings, I was able to chance upon a meeting that offered temporary sponsors and just took someone up on it during the meeting break.

It was a good "in" for me -- she helped me to establish myself in my home group, and the members of it became a second family for me. I was miserable and depressed but because of them I wasn't hopeless, and they helped me in many practical ways.

Unlike Tosh I was all alone, so 90 in 90 was an excellent use of my time. Nowadays, with 2 kids, a travelling husband, and residence in a foreign country, I am grateful to get 1 meeting a week. Thanks to online AA, however, I am never far away from the fellowship, and thanks to the program of AA, I always have directions to follow :-)

Ann in Sweden
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

And to be honest, once you experience how your internal condition can be pacified through going through the process of the 12 Step program, you really do not have to place a high dependence or reliance on meetings. The drinking problem will have been removed.
That is the common message we ought to carry to another alkie who is still suffering. The book says we are restored to sanity working the 12 steps. Every day we postpone, is another day we expose ourselves to being opting out of this.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)