Had My First Drinking Dream

For recovery discussion
RustyS
Forums Enthusiast

Had My First Drinking Dream

Post by RustyS »

Hi all, I'm Rusty and I'm an alcoholic.

Thankfully I had read here somewhere about us having drinking dreams so this is more amusing than disturbing. If I hadn't read about it I would think there was something wrong with me :lol:

I was having dinner with my wife, kids, and my mother. She's a big wine drinker so she had a bottle of red wine. Not just any bottle, this sucker was 5 gallons. I went ahead and drank with her. After we had finished half the bottle I thought, "Gee, I can't believe I did that. I didn't even fight the urge, I just drank. Just like they said I would in AA. That's the queer mental twist." By then I was pretty drunk and my oldest daughter said I'd had enough and took the bottle away from me. I thought, "Yeah she's right, I'm drunk. Might as well drink more of it while I can. Tomorrow I'll go pick up another desire chip."

Stupid dream, lol. Even in my dreams I'm a jerk when I'm drunk :lol: .

Today is my thirteenth day.

Thanks all,
Rusty

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Re: Had My First Drinking Dream

Post by Tosh »

Well done on the 13 days, Rusty. My first drinking dream was that my partner gave me a bottle of whisky, and I was like "Wow, great" and began to glug it straight from the bottle. I could even taste it in the dream.

I woke up, realised it was a dream. No big deal. They're common in early sobriety; just a dream.

Dreams are funny things though; at the time they feel soooo real. Then we wake up, and everything feels sooooo real! Confusing eh? :mrgreen:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho »

RustyS wrote:I had read here somewhere about us having drinking dreams ...

I was having dinner ...
After we had finished half the bottle I thought, "Gee, I can't believe I did that. I didn't even fight the urge, I just drank. Just like they said I would in AA. That's the queer mental twist."
That shows you have been paying attention!

Have you started Step Four?
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

sobernomatterwhat
Forums Enthusiast

Post by sobernomatterwhat »

For me it doesn't bother me that I have drinking dreams. It bothers me that I like drinking in the dream. It bothers me that I let my worst enemy in my life again and even had the nerve to be happy about it. :(

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh »

I used to have the occasional dream that I was going to the toilet - this was when I was drinking - you can imagine the result! :oops:

At least your bed should be dry with a sober drinking dream. :mrgreen:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O »

I still have them occasionally after almost 4 yrs. They don't bother me. In fact it's nice to wake up sober after such a dream.

Sally
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Sally »

i consider dreams about drinking - or my behavior when i was drinking - a gift!!
it's a gentle kick-in-butt reminding me where i came from and who i am-
my disease wants me to forget- and the longer i am sober- the easier it
gets to forget the uglies-
so i welcome my subconscious talking to me!~!
Sally

RustyS
Forums Enthusiast

Post by RustyS »

Day 16 and I had a second drinking dream last night. My memory of it was cloudy, but I do remember drinking Bailey's Irish Cream. My dreams are so vivid now that I'm sober. I don't think I dreamed at all when I drank til I passed out.
leejosepho wrote:Have you started Step Four?
I sure have Lee. I'm working with my sponsor on it. Thanks for the advice to get started on it. It really does help.

--Rusty

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower »

That is so cool you made it 16 days!
...a score card reading zero...

LadyByrd
Forums Enthusiast

Post by LadyByrd »

Well done Rusty, 16 days is a magnificent achievement. Keep it up!

LB

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O »

Great stuff, Rusty.
Get with that Step 4.
:D

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

RustyS wrote: My dreams are so vivid now that I'm sober. I don't think I dreamed at all when I drank til I passed out.
I think part of my insomnia when I got sober was to avoid dreaming. When I finally accepted that I would have to, no matter what, I did dream some pretty bad ones. it was scary. But I got through it. Makes me also connect with drinking to avoid dreaming.

My dreaming is now something I connect to much more than when I was drinking -- they are no longer attacks [had to correct a Freudian slip where I wrote "attaches" first, there you go!] from a deeply buried subconscious, but a trip on a way through my mind that I can't do when awake. Not that I attach that much significance to the dreams, mind you -- they're just really interesting sometimes!

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

RustyS
Forums Enthusiast

Post by RustyS »

A long time ago when I was younger and didn't drink so much I had dreams. I was very depressed and I talked to a psychologist about it. I talked about my disturbing dreams with him. He told me that many professionals in his field believed that dreams were a way of our brains dealing with difficult issues and that having troubling dreams was actually quite healthy. The way he put it was that our brains have a lot of junk in them and that dreams helped get rid of the junk.

--Rusty

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho »

RustyS wrote:A long time ago when I was younger and didn't drink so much I had dreams. I was very depressed and I talked to a psychologist about it. I talked about my disturbing dreams with him. He told me that many professionals in his field believed that dreams were a way of our brains dealing with difficult issues and that having troubling dreams was actually quite healthy. The way he put it was that our brains have a lot of junk in them and that dreams helped get rid of the junk.
Yes, and a good part of that is similar to what happens while a hard drive is being defragmented. Stored information passes through the CPU on its way to being stored somewhere else, but the display sent to the monitor during all of that (if displayed at all, such as in a dream) can almost be mind-numbing!
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================