AA and religion etc...

For recovery discussion
Steven F
Forums Long Timer

Re: AA and religion etc...

Post by Steven F » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:35 am

santaslittlehelper wrote:Yes. Protestant priest - his title is Vicar and he is an ordained priest? Why do you ask? He was concerned with the link to the Oxford Group. Apparently they were banned by the Catholic Church for heresy, but you would know more about that, being Catholic.
Nope. That was the Oxford Movement - not the Oxford Group. Wikipedia has more on that...

Edit - Oops, hang on - further reading indicates that I may have been a bit too fast in posting that. Please consider this statement under revision (I'm not just deleting it because a comment further in the thread refers to it).
Last edited by Steven F on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

santaslittlehelper
Forums Newcomer

Post by santaslittlehelper » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:37 am

I'm no expert and it's a bit difficult talking for someone else. I'll go see him tomorrow - he's online, so we can take a look at this thread and he can put his views himself. You might want to edit that post where you said he lied and was slothful - a bit rude before you've even spoken to him.

Steven F
Forums Long Timer

Post by Steven F » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:40 am

Feel free to pm me if you would like to discuss this further. I think we shouldn't bore people with this stuff in the forum ;-).

marietta
Forums Contributor

Post by marietta » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:45 am

The priest will be able to decipher what was said within the context of the sequence of events. I still stand by my opinion that he needs to come to a deeper understanding of Alcoholics Anonymous - what it is and what it is not. From the way you posted his opinion he seems quite dismissive. But of course, we don't have a complete picture of either him or you.

Now what was troubling you about the original post here and the back & forth? Do you find discussion or debate disquieting? Are you an alcoholic? How did you come to this forum?

marietta
"There can be nothing more frequent than an occasional drink." ~ Oscar Wilde

santaslittlehelper
Forums Newcomer

Post by santaslittlehelper » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:57 am

Just been checking about the Oxford Group - it WAS them who got banned by the Vatican, in 1955 and 1957. Because of their links with the National Sociatlists in Germany they changed their name to Moral Rearmament. Didn't know any of this - interesting history. It was Moral Rearmament that was banned by the Vatican, and they are the renamed Oxford Group. Did you know all this? It's fascinating.

Steven F
Forums Long Timer

Post by Steven F » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:02 pm

santaslittlehelper wrote:Just been checking about the Oxford Group - it WAS them who got banned by the Vatican, in 1955 and 1957. Because of their links with the National Sociatlists in Germany they changed their name to Moral Rearmament. Didn't know any of this - interesting history. It was Moral Rearmament that was banned by the Vatican, and they are the renamed Oxford Group. Did you know all this? It's fascinating.
Yes, I got to reading that also - and had edited my previous post while I was digging further. I haven't found a reference to excommunication though. "Banning" doesn't exist in Catholic church law.

But anyway. We're in AA here. Not in the Oxford group. Let's remember that :-).

Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Post by Karl R » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:14 pm

Hello santaslittlehelper aka btnben,

I was wondering why you are playing around with at least two usernames/identities? Polite social interchange usually goes better when we are all who we seem to be. :-)

regards,
Karl---forums coordinator

santaslittlehelper
Forums Newcomer

Post by santaslittlehelper » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:42 pm

Because the constant removal of posts, censorship of posts and banning makes normal discourse impossible. But we will not be defeated...lol

santaslittlehelper
Forums Newcomer

Post by santaslittlehelper » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:48 pm

And while we're on the Oxford Group subject, why did Bill Wilson (in the interests of rigorous honesty...lol) lie through his teeth when he said Sam Shoemaker was the leader of the Oxford Group?. Nazi involvement of Buchman a bit embarrassing...lol. Glad to see you're keeping up Buchman's beliefs with your censorship. Sieg Heil...lol

marietta
Forums Contributor

Post by marietta » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:50 pm

btnben/slh:

Nobody here minds legitimate questions posed by people who are genuinely interested in pursuing sobriety through the program of A.A. If you have a different agenda then your quest is futile because the point will come when no one responds and - game over. So do you want to explore sobriety or do you just want to try to get us to dance a little? I have to warn you here that when I dance I lead.

If you want to remain a voice on the forum you need to behave. If you can't or won't do this then vaya con Dios, my darlin.

marietta
"There can be nothing more frequent than an occasional drink." ~ Oscar Wilde

Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Post by Karl R » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:09 pm

santaslittlehelper aka btnben has received a time out. Their antagonistic anti-aa attitude and lack of respect for other members has precipitated this.

Tradition 5

5.) Each Alcoholics Anonymous group ought to be a spiritual entity having but one primary purpose-that of carrying its message to the alcoholic who still suffers.

I'm now locking this thread. At 7 pages it's not so much fun. And has strayed far from it's original poster's question.

regards,
Karl