Fitting in hangover

For recovery discussion
Step 9
Forums Enthusiast

Fitting in hangover

Post by Step 9 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:52 am

Yesterday i went to a friends wedding from 1.30 until 10.30 at night, i find that i can now make small talk with folks and meet new people without any fear.
But after a while i seem to fade, when everyone has a few more drinks im not on the same wave length and say my good buys and leave.
Today when i woke i felt drained with a slight headache , this happens when i attend anything like a party, wedding ,social situation.
Can't really put a finger on why, maybe being with folks who are not on any spiritual level, people who are over emotional like at the wedding, having to keep a close eye to things in a drinking situation.

Does this happen with anyone else or is it just me. ??
855 Ardmore Avenue 1935
Step 9 [Phil]

jak
Forums Long Timer

Re: Fitting in hangover

Post by jak » Sun May 22, 2011 10:21 am

I have -next day - physical symptoms, not unlike the booze hangovers that I remember, when I lack in sleep and nutrition and take too much caffiene - sugar - smokes etc.

jim k

Steven F
Forums Long Timer

Post by Steven F » Sun May 22, 2011 12:23 pm

What Jim says... ;-)

happycamper
Forums Long Timer

Post by happycamper » Sun May 22, 2011 5:01 pm

Being at a wedding from 1:30pm-10:30pm, is a long time. Id have a headache the next day too probably.

I keep drinking functions, social events where ppl are drinking to a very low minimum. I find very little enjoyment in it anymore. I have nothing really in common with these ppl, so cant see spending to much time there. Of course, I can go for a short period of time,but when its time to leave, its time to leave.

I believe our own literature, the 12 & 12 talks about the emotional hangover ...
Faith without works is dead

jakpar
Forums Contributor

Post by jakpar » Sun May 22, 2011 7:33 pm

I think I had hangover symptoms for about the first month, it my have just seemed so, but it felt real to me.
Jack

"We are of service by accepting responsibility for the authority God has given us and by respecting the authority God has given to others"
Anonymous

Joe H
Forums Long Timer

Post by Joe H » Sun May 22, 2011 8:34 pm

Today when i woke i felt drained with a slight headache , this happens when i attend anything like a party, wedding ,social situation.
Can't really put a finger on why, maybe being with folks who are not on any spiritual level, people who are over emotional like at the wedding, having to keep a close eye to things in a drinking situation.

I immediately thought of this passage from pp88 of the BB, As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action. We constantly remind ourselves we are no longer running the show, humbly saying to ourselves many times each day "Thy will be done." We are then in much less danger of excitement, fear, anger, worry, self-pity, or foolish decisions. We become much more efficient. We do not tire so easily, for we are not burning up energy foolishly as we did when we were trying to arrange life to suit ourselves.

When this has happened to me in the past I get with my sponsor and do a mini 4th Step and see if there is a hidden fear that I need to address.

Step 9
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Step 9 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:09 am

Thanks will take all this on board, think i over do it on the diet coke :lol:
Have been invited to another wedding this time i will leave a little earlier.
855 Ardmore Avenue 1935
Step 9 [Phil]

Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Post by Roberth » Mon May 23, 2011 11:53 am

I still get hangovers. Once a year on Nov 1st. It from all the candy I eat while handy out halloween candy
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!