Here is why AA DOES NOT WORK

For recovery discussion
marietta
Forums Contributor

Re: Here is why AA DOES NOT WORK

Post by marietta »

And where is this "troll" now? Typical hit-and-run alkie style. Know it well.

marietta
"There can be nothing more frequent than an occasional drink." ~ Oscar Wilde

joey
Forums Contributor

Post by joey »

Worked for me.
Joey

Ken_the_Geordie
Forums Old Timer

Post by Ken_the_Geordie »

I think some people visit A.A. a few times, don't carry out the standard suggested stuff; you know, get a sponsor (someone who has done the steps and works the daily program) and start working the steps; they're looking for someone with the 'magic words' that'll magically transform their life without them having to put any effort in.

They then start getting twisted up about A.A. I've currently got one drunk that sends me regular texts saying stuff like, "You're friendly when I'm sober, but when I'm drinking you just don't wanna know. And that's the problem, A.A. just doesn't give a [insert expletive]!!" :roll:

And I'm sure we all remember what it's like when we were wanting to drink - but not drinking (which is where I suspect the original poster was) - feeling anxious, restless, irritable and discontented. It's easy to find fault in absolutely anything. All we can do is show understanding - we've all been there - and try to encourage the newcomer into getting a sponsor and working the program; no matter how counter-intuitive it looks at first glance.
Last edited by Ken_the_Geordie on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm more commonly known as Tosh (it's a nick name, but everyone I know in real life calls me it); just in case there's any confusion; I tend to use Tosh or Ken interchangeably and it confuses some; including me. ;-)

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O »

....they're looking for someone with the 'magic words' that'll magically transform their life without them having to put any effort in.
You said it, Ken.

My perception of today's society is " I'd like it, I'd like it the way I want it, and I'd like it now please....and I'd be much happier if it doesn't cost me anything"!!

"Inventory??? I haven't got time for all that!"

"Make amends??? I don't have any spare time at all, I tell ya..!!"
:D

Is it surprising that some people might have trouble carrying out the Steps as they are written.

Steven F
Forums Long Timer

Post by Steven F »

Unfortunately, some don't realise that the bottom is when you stop digging. There is a moment in this programme where "the light goes on". That moment is different for everyone, and it seems that it sometimes even doesn't happen. Some don't manage to make that jump from intellectually knowing what is in the programme to experiencing what it means at a gut level.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

And there are the Hard drunks in and out of AA who kill the real-alcoholics or take a stab at people in AA.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Post by Karl R »

Interesting.

I heard a share the other day from a gentleman with some years (17) sober in AA. He had brought a young gentlemen along with him. He was encouraging this gentleman toward the BB and the steps. He also shared that he had walked away from drinking using willpower alone and had not worked the steps. He shared that for that reason he does not sponsor in AA and is very careful to explain to people exactly what he identifys as---a "hard drunk" rather then an alcoholic. He understood the distinction well. He shared also that he is very careful not to risk the life of what he termed "the real deal" by pointing them toward abstinence using willpower. It was a well thought out, thought provoking and insightful share. His share led the meeting right into a discussion of step 1.

I spoke with the gentleman for some length after the meeting. Shared with him that I appreciated his honesty and his self-insight as well as his concern for the newcomer. He seemed at peace with himself. He also seemed at peace with those who needed the AA program.

cheers,
Karl

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

People like Schreib, the original poster, say that AA doesn't work as a means of adding to their reasons to drink. If he admits that AA works for people who work the program, he would have to work the program and stop drinking.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

78srandy
Forums Newcomer

Post by 78srandy »

Hmmm...it certainly seems to work for many people. Maybe it doesn't work for some, but no doubt thousands of lives have been saved by AA.

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path"
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

matt z
Forums Enthusiast

Post by matt z »

successful troll is successful. And yet i find myself replying to the post as well. AA has worked, is working for millions of alcoholics across the world. There are many people in the world that go to any lengths to stay sober. I understand how you feel. It has taken me several tries to get this whole AA thing. The conclusion that I have drawn is this: I have to take it one day at a time. I don't have to drink today. I've lowered my expectations. These expectations are how i see things, not the world around me. The sooner i accept the world for how it is, the happier i become. We are all sick people. I hope that you find your way, whatever it may be.
I always wanted to write something clever and cute, but then i realized that neither one have done much for me.

visch1
Forums Newcomer

Post by visch1 »

I didn't get it until I was sick of being sick and tired and got the booze out of my system and read the following many years ago.

BB CHAPTER 5:

"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average. There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

Our stories disclose in a general way what we used to be like, what happened, and what we are like now. If you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it - then you are ready to take certain steps.

At some of these we balked. We thought that we could find an easier, softer way. But we could not. With all the earnestness at our command, we beg of you to be fearless and thorough from the very start. Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely.

Remember that we deal with alcohol - cunning, baffling, powerful! Without help it is too much for us. But there is One who has all power - that One is God. May you find him now!

Half measures availed us nothing. We stood at the turning point. We asked His protection and care with complete abandon."

Steven F
Forums Long Timer

Post by Steven F »

We read that every time, and still it hits home, doesn't it? Welcome to the forums!

Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Post by Marc L »

joey wrote:Worked for me.
Sure, AA does not work for some people.
But it works for Joey and Me! :D

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.