For recovery discussion
Ken_the_Geordie
Forums Old Timer

Re: Meditation - A Life Skill

Post by Ken_the_Geordie » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:17 pm

Thanks, Jim, I really liked that.

Regards,

Ken.
I'm more commonly known as Tosh (it's a nick name, but everyone I know in real life calls me it); just in case there's any confusion; I tend to use Tosh or Ken interchangeably and it confuses some; including me. ;-)

Steven F
Forums Long Timer

Post by Steven F » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:54 pm

I entered in a world of meditation today in a plane, on a 3 hour-ish flight between Tallinn and Frankfurt (I'm in Tunisia now). I listened to a tape on the subject of 10 and 11 first, and then let myself drift away on some oriental music. After a bit, the thoughts and the chatter seemed to float above me, but that might also have had something to do with my position, 30.000 feet up :-).

Jak, something I need to ask. All that I hear about meditation tells me that the idea is to get outside of your thoughts. Then there is the saying that you can't cure a sick mind with a sick mind (= by thinking). Isn't thinking as meditation self-defeating then? Unless of course you mean contemplation (which is basically asking a question to yourself without trying to formulate the answer yourself, but having the answer come to you).

Forgive me if my question does not fit your experience. I admit I'm only just trying to set a routine and to practice, and that I am seeking a good, practical and healthy way that fits my particular life-style and family life...

jak
Forums Long Timer

Post by jak » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:05 pm

Alcoholics Anonymous
Page 86
... It would be easy to be vague about this matter. Yet, we believe we can make some definite and valuable suggestions.

When we retire at night, we constructively review our day. Were we resentful, selfish, dishonest or afraid? Do we owe an apology? Have we kept something to ourselves which should be discussed with another person at once? Were we kind and loving toward all? What could we have done better? Were we thinking of ourselves most of the time? Or were we thinking of what we could do for others, of what we could pack into the stream of life? But we must be careful not to drift into worry, remorse or morbid reflection, for that would diminish our usefulness to others. After making our review we ask God's forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should be taken.

On awakening let us think about the twenty-four hours ahead. We consider our plans for the day. Before we begin, we ask God to direct our thinking, especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives. Under these conditions we can employ our mental faculties with assurance, for after all God gave us brains to use. Our thought-life will be placed on a much higher plane when our thinking is cleared of wrong motives.

In thinking about our day we may face indecision. We may not be able to determine which course to take. Here we ask God for inspiration, an intuitive thought or a decision. We relax and take it easy. We don't struggle. We are often surprised how the right answers come after we have tried this for a while.
The aspect of 'contemplation' does fit my experience but I then I contemplated while I was drunk also. I was not led to address my condition with none but my sick mind. I was led to JOIN a Spiritual Movement. I was shown how to work the 12 Steps and then I set about applying those healing princples. And most importantly I was prayed for as I was led to pray. I am set amongst my fellows in this recovery. We did not pray to the god of reason but to a Loving God who wanted to lead our thought life to that much higher plane.

Just attending meetings does not bring me to this inspiration of 'right answers'. I had to surrender and I had to join.

jimk

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:58 pm

If circumstances warrant, we ask our wives or friends to join us in morning meditation. --------------------------------. There are many helpful books also. Suggestions about these may be obtained from one's priest, minister, or rabbi. Be quick to see where religious people are right. Make use of what they offer.
The authors of the big book also suggest that we seek other resources if one needs more. We always need to emphasize its in the discipline and being committed to whatever that works for one.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

jak
Forums Long Timer

Post by jak » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:00 pm

A seed catalog is kind of like a book. :)
jimk

Steven F
Forums Long Timer

Post by Steven F » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:46 am

Thanks for clarifying that, Jim. There is indeed no discrepancy.

There's a new world behind these four little pages though :-).