Unmanageable?

For recovery discussion

Re: Unmanageable?

Postby Roberth » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:26 am

At a certain point in the drinking of every alcoholic, he passes into a state where the most powerful desire to stop drinking is of absolutely no avail. This tragic situation has already arrived in practically every case long before it is suspected.

The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.

so much for my choice in drink
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby desypete » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:19 am

Roberth wrote:
At a certain point in the drinking of every alcoholic, he passes into a state where the most powerful desire to stop drinking is of absolutely no avail. This tragic situation has already arrived in practically every case long before it is suspected.

The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.

so much for my choice in drink

and yet somehow we come to aa on our first meeting sober and willing to find a way out ? i know for me i was beaten into submission when i first came to aa in a sober state and yet i was a 24 / drunken bum who had lost it all
yet one day i just knew it was over i couldn't do it anymore.
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby bbqking » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:17 pm

Mike O wrote:My question is how many of us actually reached "unmanageability" or how many, like me, were functioning ok but could see "unmanageability" up ahead, and still had it together enough to get a grip on things in time.

-Mike

Manageability is subjective. The book lists things that could describe what unmanageable might look like.

Sounds like you were able to read the writing on the wall so to speak and do something before losing everything.

The degree of negative consequences that need to occur or threat of said consequences varies with each person when it comes to identifying as having an unmanageable life.

Identifying something that may cause severe future consequences before they occur, priceless.

I don't think it has to be any more complicated than that.
bbqking
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Dan2000 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:32 am

Hi All

The way I perceive Step 1 is.... There are 2 parts to Step 1....First you have to put down the drink, as it called the shots, it told me what to do, I didn't tell it what I needed to do.....

Secondly....My life had become unmanageable, The way I look at this is, my life was unmanageable before I even picked up a drink and that's why I picked up a drink in the first place. I drank because IT made it, easier to talk to the girls, I drank because IT made me a better dancer, I drank because IT made me a tougher person.

If my life was manageable, I would not have had to use the "crutch" that I thought the drink had given me. It comes down to my own self-centeredness and/or, how "I" thought "things" in my life "should" have been. The key words here are, I and Should.

The way step 1 is worded as such, is not to confuse a newer person who is just starting with the steps....if it said first my life was unmanageable, then was powerless over alcohol, how could that person work the step? he couldn't as the booze would still be calling the shots.

Dan2000
Remember in all we do, it's Progress,not perfection.
Dan2000
Forums Enthusiast

Postby steephills » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:41 am

I totally see what you mean, Mike. I too, have a problem with Step 1. I'm the only one who thought it was time for detox and to stop drinking completely; and I feel like it doesn't credit me for anything I've had the power, strength, and courage to do on my own. My life was at a point where it was barely-manageable, but I wouldn't say unmanageable. I managed to do the right thing and get sober. I followed through with sending myself to detox while still under the influence of alcohol. I'm only sober 30+ days now, but still, I'm the one with the power that made it happen.
steephills
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:36 am

steephills wrote:I totally see what you mean, Mike. I too, have a problem with Step 1. I'm the only one who thought it was time for detox and to stop drinking completely; and I feel like it doesn't credit me for anything I've had the power, strength, and courage to do on my own. My life was at a point where it was barely-manageable, but I wouldn't say unmanageable. I managed to do the right thing and get sober. I followed through with sending myself to detox while still under the influence of alcohol. I'm only sober 30+ days now, but still, I'm the one with the power that made it happen.

No one is going to force you to think anything other than that. As an atheist myself, (and a Manager as a career) I made it through the 12 Steps without having to change my basic beliefs UNLESS I wanted to. I changed a lot of those beliefs too. But, I know that I am powerless over DISEASE and DEFECTS and the book gives me a practical program of action to move forward, practice the principles and live to good purpose.

Hang in there - work the Steps for long term sobriety!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Previous

Return to Discussions