Question on Non-AA Literature/Non-AA Events

For recovery discussion

Postby Blue Moon » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:45 am

Jim 725 wrote:That's right, recovery from alcoholism. Not a place to nurse resentments against "people, institutions or principles." (See page 64)
Nor a place to feel resented because they still believe in those religious institutions.

Resentment against some institutions, and associated discomfort in an AA meeting, is part of the "what it used to be like" of my story. I'm really not sure if I could have sobered up if the meetings in my area all used the "Lord's Prayer". So I share that in a meeting at times, especially one that I feel is getting top-heavy with talk promoting such institutions. I don't share it because it's a lingering resentment I'm feeling, nor because of ego, but because I believe it's important for any person who's sitting in an AA meeting suffering from alcoholism to be able to identify with the alcoholism, not the institution.

I agree, "recovering Catholic" etc. is overused and overrated. I don't describe or particularly consider myself as such.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Coyote » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:02 pm

Blue Moon wrote:
Coyote wrote:As far as I am concerned, serenity and a sober life is not an "outside issue", regardless of its source.

A nice concept, but one that carries practical issues. Anything shared in a meeting can be interpreted, especially by a newcomer, as "this is AA". The problem is that AA's own message for recovery from alcoholism is getting lost.

If someone finds serenity and a sober life by application of "just don't drink", I think that's great. I really do. I just don't think they should sit in an AA meeting offering it as a practical solution for recovery from alcoholism.

The message is not getting lost, and never was. It has often times merely been buried by dogma, "tradition", organizational interpretation and personal opinions. If it were a matter of 'just don't drink', I'd probably still be drunk! If it were as simple as 'keep coming back' and a group handshake/pact/mantra, I'd probably be dead!

As far as institutions go, they are there for a reason, and there are plenty of people who keep them going on, and on, and on. Without institutions, where would all the followers turn to for salvation? It would appear that a message that was shared by a few very spiritual persons long ago has been turned into non-profit industries of tithing. That is reflected in nearly every level of society these days, and true spiritual experience is the only way to avoid being drawn into the migrating herd which follows the supposed word of a god that was drawn on paper by human beings who said that they had a direct line to god. Money-changers and those who seek personal gain have long seen the herd as a means to an end.

Down through the millennia, and similarly since the '30s or so, books have been written, re-written, interpreted and re-interpreted by mostly well-meaning people, but those revisions, deletions, adaptations and amendments consistently expand the volume and detract from the original intent. Content is alright, and so we look to when it is put down on paper for a history lesson. Context is alright too, as far as context can go. I have to be very careful not to place my identity too close to that of the author, lest I begin to think I am some kind of an Authority! At that point, I am doing nothing more than holding up my facade and saying "Look at me!".

The 'practical issue' you describe directly affects our primary purpose, and it behoves us to pay attention and not to begin quoting 'scripture'. The phrases and customs that the Fellowship offers to the newcomer is certainly a nice hook....if it works to interest them long enough to get the real message instead of the usual history lesson. Otherwise, we might as well be thumping logs and burning resins to keep away the devil. It's a scary place, the world of the practicing alcoholic, but just as scary is coming into rooms already having a personal god and hear that they have to change over to another one in order to stay alive.

We offer a program of attraction, not one of distraction. As long as I maintain integrity and not promote 'my way' as the only way, I just might be able to carry the message.....which I did not get directly from a god. If I have no more respect for a suffering alcoholic than to make them think they're wrong, then I have been living an illusion.

Good morning Sr Claire. I hope your life in Isreal is good for you. It's funny that you should mention those 'outside sources', the NT was brought about because new input 'needed' to be brought forth to the people of the day who were supposedly kept in the dark by the OT. "Lord's Prayer"? It's not even close to the content and intent of the original. So much for us not having an opinion on outside issues, eh? It's a fact of life, and so it goes with an alcoholic, who is still a human being.

Bear with me, comrades, the universe is not done with me yet :)

Coyote
Last edited by Coyote on Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Jim 725 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:33 pm

I agree, "recovering Catholic" etc. is overused and overrated. I don't describe or particularly consider myself as such.

I tend to share what works for me, from an AA perspective. I sometimes point out that I'm also an Oxygen dependant, "recovering Catholic", computer professional and an asthmatic, but that I consider sharing of such "outside issues" to be inappropriate in an AA meeting.
Which of these are we to take seriously?
Jim 725

Postby Blue Moon » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:06 pm

Jim 725 wrote:Which of these are we to take seriously?

Either. I said I don't describe or particularly consider myself as such. That doesn't mean I'm not. I don't describe or particularly consider myself an oxygen dependant either, but the fact that I am one is beyond debate.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Discussions