Identification

For recovery discussion

Identification

Postby cambell » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:22 am

I stumbled into the rooms of AA shaking, sweating and suicidal, not knowing what to expect from my first meeting, I was welcomed with a firm handshake that nearly floored me and a cup of tea. I was told to listen to members share their experience, strength and hope with me, I was amazed at their stories, I could identify with most of what my addled brain could comprehend, I thought it was only me who drank like that.

I entered that meeting with almost total despair and left with a glimmer of hope, somehow I knew my answer was in that meeting. My next identification was the Dr's. Opinion in the Big Book, that just blew me away and still does. How could someone else describe me so clearly? I could now admit to myself and others in the rooms, I am an alcoholic, but I found admiting and acceptance are very different.

After some painful relapses I found my acceptance of my alcoholism and am now enjoying my sobriety and peace of mind, as a result of working the twelve steps of recovery, one day at a time.

Best regards in fellowship

Cambell
cambell
Forums Newcomer

Re: Identification

Postby Dan H » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:56 pm

cambell wrote:...but I found admiting and acceptance are very different.

Truer words were never spoken. I wish I knew of a sure-fire way to lead somebody to acceptance, but it seems to be one of those things that just comes when it comes.
There is in nature one most potent force, by means whereof a single man, who could possess himself of it, and should know how to direct it, could revolutionize and change the face of the world.
Dan H
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Identification

Postby whitmore_fan » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:42 am

Dan H wrote:
cambell wrote:...but I found admiting and acceptance are very different.

Truer words were never spoken. I wish I knew of a sure-fire way to lead somebody to acceptance, but it seems to be one of those things that just comes when it comes.

Absolutely! I knew I was an alcoholics for years before I sought help. I first felt compelled to try everything and anything to see if I could become a normal drinker. Nothing worked! It wasn't until then that I crawled to AA on my hands and feet and asked for real help and guidance. In doing so I had not only admitted my alcoholism but also accepted it. I was beat.

Ian
"Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!"
whitmore_fan
Forums Contributor

Return to Discussions