going crazy

For recovery discussion

going crazy

Postby meg » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:39 pm

23, 1 year sober, new baby...boyfriend is still married to other woman, separated for a long time, but divorce process seems neverending. feel like an idiot for getting involved w/ him. feel like there will never be an end... his other daughter is giving us grief, understandably so (he abandoned her when he was using- she's now 15). i feel like i'm going crazy! what's wrong with me?[/list]
meg
Forums Newcomer

Postby keithd » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:37 pm

Your sober so things are good. They told me to remember what it was like and what it's like now,life may not always get better but I would. So today i don't have to drink over things and i have choices. Before i would drink and hope things changed, (they never did) Today i don't drink and change the things i can. I'm glad your here crazy and say the serenity prayer over and over.
keithd
Forums Contributor

Postby stef » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:29 pm

I agree with Keith. Also, think of what you DO have...a wonderful child, sobriety, and whether you believe it or not, your sanity. Sometimes we have to give up things in our sobriety that will eventually return..or may not. Either way, I always have to do what's best for me and my family and what keeps me sober. You're so lucky to be conscious of what's happening around you instead of drinking it away. Stick with it, say a prayer and put one foot in front of the other. Don't beat yourself up!

I'll be thinking of you.
Stef
stef
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Bill F » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:45 am

i feel like i'm going crazy! what's wrong with me?[/

I felt this way after my 1st year sober too. I seem to think that now I've been sober a year my life should just settle down and behave. The reality is that I am just beginning my journey of recovery. It is like waking up from a dream, except the consequences of the dream are still with me. Thank God I am able to think clearly enough to actually make better decisions. One of which is to not own somebody else's stuff.

I recommend some al-anon meetings so you can learn where your stuff stops and your bf's begins.

Love and Peace,
Bill
Knowing you don't know is wholeness
Thinking you know is a disease.
Only by recognizing that you have an illness
can you move to seek a cure. - Lao-Tzu
Bill F
Forums Enthusiast

Postby John S » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:57 pm

Meg, yea, sometimes things come at us pretty hard. dont pick up a drink though.

CALL YOUR SPONSOR!

some things that helped me early on when things got intense and i didn't know what else to do:

dont drink...for the next hour, half hour, 5 minutes even.

CALL YOUR SPONSOR OR SOMEONE ON YOUR PHONE LIST

go wash the dishes, clean a counter, scrub a toilet, vacuume a room, mow a lawn.

CALL YOUR SPONSOR OR A LADY WHO'S NUMBER YOU HAVE FROM THE LAST MEETING YOU ATTENDED

read a story, or part of a story, any story, from the back of the Big Book.

UMM...CHECK IN WITH YOUR SPONSOR.

eat a bowl of cereal

go to a meeting...if anyone tries to give you grief if you have your baby with you, just be sure to politely say thats it's THIS meeting or a drink.

Good luck..hit a meeting...CALL YOUR SPONSOR.

JohnS.
John S
Forums Newcomer

Postby Holly96 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:30 am

LOL....did John mention call your sppnsor!? :lol:

Seriously....sobriety can be a roller coaster ride. Just because we are sober, does not mean life is alwasy rosey!
We still have deathes, divorces, babies, new jobs, family, etc etc...

The difference is we are learning a new way to deal with things....and there is what is tough. before when things got tough, we checked out.

Now we are "present" and that is much more difficult and painful some times. Its also new, and does not feel normal....because we are not use to "feeling".

Hang in there....go to meetings....more meetings....talk to other sober drunks....call your sponsor....and heave your sponsor help you with doing some step work.

it will pass....and you will look back and be amazed at what you have learned!
don't leave before the miracle...you will be amazed.

Holly
Holly96
Forums Long Timer

Return to Discussions