Adaptive Big Book Study

For recovery discussion

Postby Blue Moon » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:17 pm

Jim 725 wrote:Perhaps you'd be kind enough to point out how the definitions of these words has changed since the Big Book was written?

I care for a dialogue in semantics about as much as I care for your constantly bickering attitude.

Geez, give it a rest!
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Brad N. » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:46 am

Jim 725 wrote:
Since 1939 alcoholics worldwide have been getting and staying sober without study guides or tutors.
Jim S.

Or the world wide web,but here we are...in spite of technology,study guides,concordances. Happy,Joyous and Free. :)

For the first 24 years of my sobriety,I thought "laurels" were what you were resting on when you squatted down,like to look at something on the ground or talking to a toddler. Much to my suprise,thanks to a dictionary,I found out laurels were my past accomplishments. Those consisted of three things (for the first 2 decades,anyway.)

Dont drink
Go to meetings
Quote stuff out of the book to sound cool.( I had pg 449 memorized)

I was one miserable SOB. Sure I was alcohol free,but that was it.

Then my wife and I and a few others started a book study topic meeting. It changed my belief system for sobriety. No doubt that alcohol was but a miniscule part of my problem. Sure,I was a real alcoholic. Eliminating the booze healed my body. But the mind was still twisted beyond belief. And I had no help in sight early on. It was the old"dont drink and go to meetings" stuff I keep hearing. No one knew enough about the program to pass it on. We never opened up a BB at those meetings. And I lived like that for over 20 years.

I have spoken twice at local intergroups. It was rather humerous because I had lots to say about what it was like and more to say on what happened,but when it came to what its like now..I damn near drew a blank both times I spoke. I had nothing to say other than I didnt drink and I felt better. No spiritual awakening the 12 step talks about because I never made it thru the steps. :cry:

The last 2 years have been a huge awakening for me. I am working the steps as outlined in the book. Now I m asking God for help with 8 and 9. Concious contact is getting easier and easier by the day.

I am a shining example of the length of sobriety doesnt mean squat. I could not drink,go to meetings and accumulate increments of time in the process. I still get folks saying with a sense of awe in thier voice," My God, you ve been sober that long??"
"Yep," I d say,"And I ve been working the program as its written in our text for two of those 24 years."

Tho I orginally did come to scoff,I am eternally grateful I remained to pray.

Brad
Brad N.
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Bill F » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:47 am

Jim,

Sounds like you have some sort of resentment you are hanging on to regarding the program of AA. Might be something to work a 4th step on!

Keep coming back.

Love and Peace,
Bill

PS. Thanks Brad. You remind me that I cannot rest on my laurels, nor assume that I already know it all.
Knowing you don't know is wholeness
Thinking you know is a disease.
Only by recognizing that you have an illness
can you move to seek a cure. - Lao-Tzu
Bill F
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Jim 725 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:54 pm

Sounds like you have some sort of resentment you are hanging on to regarding the program of AA.

What in the world gives you that idea?
My gripe is with those who insist on convincing others, usually newcomers, that they are too stupid to read and understand the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. That they don't have brains enough to follow the written suggested program of recovery without some guru to guide them and explain that while the book might say this, it really means that.
"To show other alcoholics precisely how we have recovered is the main purpose of this book. For them, we hope these pages will prove so convincing that no further authentication will be necessary." (page xiii)
On your first visit tell him about the Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous. If he shows interest, lend him your copy of this book.
(page 94) It doesn't say read it to him, or translate it for him, just lend it to him.
Suppose now you are making your second visit to a man. He has read this volume and says he is prepared to go through with the Twelve Steps of the program of recovery. Having had the experience yourself, you can give him much practical advice. Let him know you are available if he wishes to make a decision and tell his story, but do not insist upon it if he prefers to consult someone else.
(page 96)
I can't find the place it says he must have a sponsor and a study guide, or attend a minimum number of Big Book study meetings. Just that he has read the book.
If you can find a Third Edition, read the story on page 342. "Lifesaving Words." If you can't find one, get a copy of "Experience, Strength and Hope." It's on page 310.
Jim S.
Jim 725

Previous

Return to Discussions