sobriety

For recovery discussion

sobriety

Postby stef » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:12 am

I'm new to this and very excited that I found this site!

I was with a friend today who has not had a drink in 6 years. She is not an alcoholic, but her husband is in recovery and she quit drinking to help him. I've been in recovery for over a year now and today she said to me "Isn't it so much better on the other side?" I can't agree with her more. It's been a hard year but one I am most grateful for. I find that our steps and the way we work them are a way of life that I have never known. I wish everyone--alcoholic or not--could live their lives that way.

I thank God this site exists--I can't always get to meetings as often as I'd like, so it's great to know I can come here!
stef
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ann2 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:26 am

Hi Stef! Welcome and I'm very glad you found this site too! I'm a stay-at-home mom and live in a country where I don't speak the language very well, so finding AA online has been an enormous support and education.

I participate in email meetings and have gained friends and assistance through visiting a chat room as well as finding fellowship in these forums. I'm grateful to say that the online opportunities for service and 12 step work are an important part of my recovery today.

I'm very happy also in my f2f group, but it wasn't always that way. Compared to where I got sober, in Boston, the A.A. here in Finland is rather sparse, and one could say about 30 years "behind" as far as inclusion of female members and younger folk. My online friends, however, suggested strongly that i continue to attend whenever possible and today I find my f2f home group to be a warm and healing place to recharge and feel the presence of my higher power.

I'm thinking of this more than ever now because my husband and I will be moving our family (2 girls 6 and 1) back to Sweden in 6 months. That means I must say goodbye to the deep connections I've made in my f2f group and prepare to make new ones in a new f2f group. I will however be taking along my online group :) which is a gift.

Thanks for sharing, Stef, and letting me know a little about you.

Big hugs from Finland,

Ann
ann2
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby stef » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:08 pm

Ann-

You sound like you are doing so well over there! I admire your tenacity to make it work. I love my home group but cannot always get there so this site is a Godsend! Good luck with your move and thanks for the welcome note!!!

Stef
stef
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Discussions