courage to change the things I can

For recovery discussion

courage to change the things I can

Postby keithd » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:29 pm

I have been with the same job for about 14 years now. I wake up sunday and start thinking about monday mornning and how i just hate to go back to that place. I did not make any big moves the frist year sober and have thought more & more about finding another job this last year but i just can't seem to get the courage to move on. It's like i think well you have been here for a long time why change things. It's not even about money i would work for less i just want out. But i also feel like i owe the guy something because when i used to come in drunk he would send me home instead of letting me go. I have made my amends to him for my past. (It's like when i was drinking and took all the bad stuff that comes with alcohol rather then have the courage to stop). I keep reading page 50 over & over {To take a certain attitude toward that power} change is hard for me
keithd
Forums Contributor

Postby Blue Moon » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:01 pm

I have similar issues about working life etc.

It boils down to fear.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby dennis » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:17 pm

Ever think about telling your boss you're bored and burned out on what you're doing now and ask him if he could keep you in mind if something else opens up? That you'd be willing to take a pay cut (since you seem to feel you'll go down a notch anyway) while you're training?
dennis
Forums Contributor

Postby whitmore_fan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:29 am

I don't know the circumstances of your job or your company but most companies want to retain staff that are skilled, experienced and productive - often accepting the negative side of an individual. It's all about the sucess of the company.

I say this because I believe that when you decide to move you have nothing to fear or feel guilty about - you have paid you dues in the form of your work. And by the sound of it your contribution must have been good otherwise I'm sure you would not have been able to survive whist drinking.

I had a similar situation at a place of work whilst drinking and during early recovery. These were difficult times but my boss was very undertsanding. I really appreciated his help in enabling a more flexible working environment to suit my needs at that time. Nevertheless, I still moved on after about a year of sobriety. I didn't feel guilty and my boss wished me luck. I had always done what I was employed to do. Maybe not to my best ability, particularly whilst drinking and early recovery but I I did what was expected anyways.

Fear of change is one thing but don't feel guilty about wanting to leave, you have paid your dues by working in the first place.

On the subject of fear, I find that fear of fear is much greater than any reality. Change is always difficult but after a while, if you change jobs, you will probably wonder why you were so concerned - very rarely is reality any where near as bad as you imagine

Best of luck
Ian
"Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!"
whitmore_fan
Forums Contributor

Postby Bham34 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:13 am

I also have some of the same issues with my job. For a long time I actually did feel like I owed them something because they didn't fire me when they should have. It has just been recently that I have mustered up any courage at all to think about even looking for other jobs. All of it is still in process and I guess you might say I was taking baby steps, but at least they are steps.

Change is very difficult for me as well, especially when it involves moving away from something that, even though I hate, I have an idea of how things are going to go on any given day. There are a lot of fears involved with the idea of change and that has kept me stuck in the same rut for a long time. The only thing that I can think to do is to pray for guidance and willingness to take a little action. God will do for me what I cannot do for myself, but he sure isn't going to update my resume for me.
"Believe more deeply. Hold your face up to the Light, even though
for the moment you do not see."
Bill W.
Letter 1950
Bham34
Forums Enthusiast

Postby jevonne » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:50 am

Sometimes in life we must take three steps backwards to move one step forward. I have found this true with employment. I have also found that the transition along with the challenges of a new job much rewarding in many ways. It's not good being in a rut of daily routines that might bring boredom, at least not for me. This was a big trigger for me. Change has had a major part in my recovery. Take a chance, look to the higher power for encouragement.

Debra
jevonne
Forums Newcomer

Return to Discussions