Promises

For recovery discussion

Promises

Postby trent » Wed May 30, 2007 8:20 am

Maybe it is just me but there seems to be so much negitive discusion about aa here these days it really is a downer. What about the positive in your recovery or in AA?

I laugh at myself sometimes, ok a lot these days.

I have a 20year highschool reunion coming up in a couple months and I wonder does anyone even remember me being in their class? I did not have any friends back then I was the ultimate loner hiding and afraid of any attention the type that would almost piss myself if a teacher asked me a question in class. Then came drinking sudden personality shift and a funny unpredicable sometimes violent guy. Then came recovery slow personality shift. Mellow with anger and depression problems but slow shift from being afraid and needing booze to function to being confident and alright with myself. I'll go to the reunion.

A couple weeks ago a friend and I wanted to try something we were told we were nuts to do but we tried it, high risk and it did not go well. We ended up stranded in the middle of a class 4 rapid on a river and a sunk boat. Police, fire trucks, ambulances, big audience on the highway. A lot of contriversy about our little adventure. All the attention, even with most all of it being the kind like "you idiots - what were you thinking!" did not bother me. We both just laughed about the whole thing. No big deal to us. Then we had to explain we were not drunk - we did it SOBER!
trent
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Layne » Wed May 30, 2007 9:20 am

I can relate to your post a lot. Sounds like my high school experience. I especially like the part about-we did it sober! I too, am guilty of doing wilder and crazier things sober than I did while drinking. Like you said, being confident and alright with myself. Who wooda thunk?
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby raechaelp » Wed May 30, 2007 11:17 am

I totally missed my class reunion if they had one. LMAO. I had no friends in my high school. All my friends were the people who dropped out of high school or graduated and weren't really doing anything with their lives. I think the people that knew me best were the guidance counselor and the school psych. What a mess I was and still am. At least I don't have to go back to HS again. :P

When I drank, I was super boring. I didn't do anything. They say this is the disease of isolation. I mean I did stupid stuff when I was drunk but I do some wild and crazy things sober. The girls and I got thrown out of a diner once for being to rowdy one night and that was sober. At least we didn't have to pay the bill. Oh well.

Love, hugs, and sobriety
Rae
On day 36
raechaelp
Forums Enthusiast

Postby jevonne » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:30 am

I am in the early stages of recovery. I wouldn't even dream of going to my class reunion at this point because I know there would be alcohol there. But, it is encouraging to hear that you can have fun sober. I try to remember back when I did not drink and the fun I had. I guess the years of drinking blocked out those memories. Looking forward to having fun again-SOBER!

Debra
jevonne
Forums Newcomer

Return to Discussions