Please Help me!!!

For recovery discussion

Please Help me!!!

Postby katanna24 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:07 pm

I really want to visit an AA meeting but am afraid of what to expect when I get there. Can anyone please tell me what a typical visit is like?
katanna24
Forums Newcomer

Postby Holly96 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:48 pm

hi katanna

welcome..

your first AA meeting is nerve wracking, just because you dont know what to expect. I remember that feeling well. :D Even though your scared.....once you get through a meeting or two....its easier. I found the anticipation, and me worrying what it was like.....was FAR worse than the actual meeting. I found I could identify with some of the people in there, and I felt at home.....

Depending on where you are in the country, depends on the format.....but they generally are led by some one who has volunteered to.(some one in the group) The format is read from a paper that the group as a whole has agreed on, but it is usually pretty standard.

and they may ask you to introduce yourself.....this can be scary, but its just to let the people know who you are. Then the meeting is held. There are many formats.....speaker meetings, where there is a speaker for a period of time. Usually some one who has been asked to share a bit of their experience, strength, and hope.....then there is discussion afterwards.

step meetings....discuss different steps in AA....

discussion meetings....discuss topics...or readings from a book....

If you dont feel comfy sharing....thats ok. Just say pass.
I did not open my mouth for months at AA meetings, because I was terrified!

"open" meetings are for any one who wants more information on alcoholism (like fanily members, or if some one is checking thjings out to see if they have a problem....or spouses can attend etc)

"closed" meetings are for alcoholics.....

however if you need a meeting....... go into whatever meeting is there....
I was just explaing a few things that I was curious abut, but afraid to ask when I was new. :-) Feel free to PM me and ask me anything you want.

finally.....just remember, everyone there....wants the same thing....to not drink today. No one will judge you...or think you are a horrible person......believe me...we all have our horror stories. This program saves lives.....and I am glad you are talking that first step.

keep us posted.
don't leave before the miracle...you will be amazed.

Holly
Holly96
Forums Long Timer

Postby Jim 725 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:44 pm

I'd suggest that you call your local central office or Intergroup and tell them what you've told us. They'll probably have someone pick you up and take you to the meeting, so that you don't have to walk in cold. And if whoever answers the phone doesn't suggest it, ask if they'll send someone. First meetings can be almost as scary as the idea sobriety itself.
Jim S.
Jim 725

Postby Holly96 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:44 pm

great idea jim!! yeas, the first meeting is a scary thing.

You gotta have the courage to do it! :-) Its not as scary as it seems....
don't leave before the miracle...you will be amazed.

Holly
Holly96
Forums Long Timer

Postby Layne » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:42 pm

Welcome katanna24. Prior to going, the idea of that first meeting for me was totally frightening. Once there, it was a feeling of relief. I no longer felt like the only one. There were people that I could relate to and vice versa, all with a common goal, to not drink!
Layne
Forums Old Timer

First meeting

Postby J » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:29 pm

Welcome. You are going to find a bunch of people whose only desire is to see you get well, and if possible, to help you do so. When you go into that first meeting, remember one thing, everyone in there was once terrified at their own first meeting. We all know how it is. If you can, try to let at least one person know that it is your first meeting. You will be amazed at the response.

Oh man, was I nervous to be at my first meeting. I surely remember it well. I decided before I went in there, that if I didn't see anyone near my own age or younger ( I visualized AA as being populated by a bunch of old men), I was going to turn right around and walk out. Luckily for me, there was a man who was around my age. That was 24 years ago. It is much easier to find folks my age or younger these days.

Hang in there.
J
J
Forums Newcomer

Postby Dale R. » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:07 pm

I suggest you attend an open meeting, preferably a speaker meeting, and just sit there. After its over, you decide what move is next. You can either talk to people, or go home. If you want what we have, you will come back.
Dale R.
Forums Enthusiast

Postby tasp » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:06 pm

{intentionally blank}
Last edited by tasp on Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
tasp
Forums Enthusiast

Thank You Everyone

Postby katanna24 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:49 pm

Hi Everyone,
I finally went to an open meeting. It was not that scary once I got there, everyone made you feel welcomed. I really enjoyed hearing the stories and I am planning my 2nd visit this Sunday.

Thanks Alot Everyone for all your help.
katanna24
Forums Newcomer

Yes

Postby J » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:51 pm

I'm so glad that you got to a meeting. Good for you. Did you get any phone numbers there?
J
J
Forums Newcomer

Return to Discussions