Hello Again

For recovery discussion

Hello Again

Postby BillPritts » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:35 am

Hello everyone, I am not doing well. I must be the most stubborn person in
AA, I dont want to drink, nothing good happens to me when i drink. I know i am alcoholic when i drink, I was doing so good and then ended up in the bar, I know how i did. I did not work anything in AA that day. Now I am sober again with 2 days and a big old dent in my car. I just want the stuff to end, I am to ashamed to go to a Meeting because of failure.
BillPritts
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Layne » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:27 pm

Hi Bill, don't be ashamed to go to a meeting. I felt the same way when I was having trouble staying sober, but I didn't want my tombstone to read, died of embarrassment, so I sucked up my misplaced and stubborn pride and went back, and went back, and went back. It is only failure if you don't go back. Help is there and a way out of the misery.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Re: Hello Again

Postby Blue Moon » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:13 am

BillPritts wrote:I am to ashamed to go to a Meeting because of failure.

If nobody returned to AA after drinking again, there would be far fewer meetings. In this deal, nobody shoots you for failure. Failure isn't not succeeding at what you try, failure is not trying.

Maybe you need to try something different. Just going to meetings didn't keep me sober. Reading the book didn't keep me sober. I needed to try something different, to change what I do. All that started with a better understanding of alcoholism, for which "I'm alcoholic so I choose not to drink" is a non sequitur.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby BillPritts » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:26 am

Ian

You are correct on trying anything. I went back and feel cool about it. Just so tired of living this way. I hope it sticks with me this time. Got another meeting at noon today, then one at 8pm if in feel i need to go. The saying it is worse everytime you go back out is so true. Been sober for 3 days and feel like _____.

Thanks
Bill
BillPritts
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Blue Moon » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:48 am

Between meetings, I'd check out the "Doctors opinion" and chapters 2 and 3 in the BB. Particularly chapter 3... "Jim's story" offers a little insight into his thinking and state of mind before he even considered taking a drink.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby BillPritts » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:59 am

Thanks Ian., I have read them many times.
BillPritts
Forums Enthusiast

Postby bushey562 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:23 am

Falling down is not failing, falling down and not getting back up is failing. Get back into the program, quit beating youself up and put this behind you. Thats why we call it TEMPORARY insanity, it was TEMPORARY and you made it back. If you keep looking behind you your past becomes your future, move on and keep coming back.
bushey562
Forums Newcomer

Postby Jim 725 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:37 am

Thanks Ian., I have read them many times.

But did you do anything besides read them? A person can starve to death reading a cookbook. Try reading the whole thing, and this time doing what it says to do.
Jim S.
Jim 725

Postby BillPritts » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:59 am

Yes Jim,

I am really good at it for a short period of time, Other than half messures part. Actually i am pretty good at that part to. I will read them over and over if it will keep me sober this time.
BillPritts
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Discussions