Librium Treatment starting Monday... I'm a little worried.

For recovery discussion

Librium Treatment starting Monday... I'm a little worried.

Postby ksross » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:22 am

I don't like pills, but my NP prescribed me Librium, and I'm going to start detoxing Monday.

I get really anxious without booze in my system, and something about popping pills already freaks me out.

Has anyone here taken Librium to detox before?

If so, please add to this thread and tell me what to expect. I've read a bunch of vague information on line and am not satisfied.

She also told me that she was going to prescribe me a drug (can't remember the name) next week that will help with the cravings.

It seems to be a bit much, but my LADC is for it "for now". She told me weening off the pills won't be an issue and that it won't involve possible DTs.

I went off a bit here, but I would really like to know if someone here has been medically detoxed here.

Thanks.

ksross
ksross
Forums Newcomer

Postby Blue Moon » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:30 am

Librium is one of the benzodiazepines, often prescribed for alcohol withdrawal in detox units.

Many of the horror stories you read online are about "mother's little helpers", where they'd been used for years rather than days or weeks. Medications do not bring about recovery from alcoholism, these are simply for the short-term physical withdrawal.

One of the contraindications is acute alcohol intoxication, so you'd better not drink whilst taking them. If you can't do that, talk to the pdoc or get a second opinion.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby mattm88 » Tue May 01, 2007 11:15 pm

They'll do the trick and help hold off anxiety, high blood pressure, high heart rate etc and give you a relatively smooth detoxification. You'll feel better right away. You might ask for B Vitamins such as Thiamin too. I once checked myself into a detox place to avoid withdrawal symptoms from alcohol and that's what they gave me. Man, there were some characters in there. Good luck.
mattm88
Forums Newcomer

Return to Discussions