Lab Results: bad liver

For recovery discussion

Lab Results: bad liver

Postby ksross » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:06 am

I'm a 27-year-old college graduate and military vet. I have been suffering from abdominal discomfort for a week and went to my doctor. We did lab work and she called me today concerned with my levels involving my liver. After a brief conversation of Q&A we both came to the conclusion that I have a drinking problem. And I do.

Has anyone here recovered from liver damage?

I go in on Friday to talk about my alcoholism. She told me that she doesn't want me to stop drinking until we meet and figure out how severe it is. I'm very worried and scared. I'm just looking for some inspiration. I don't want to die (who does), but not at 27 when I'm just begining my life. I hope someone has had a simular experience who I can identify with.
ksross
Forums Newcomer

Postby Blue Moon » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:36 am

Liver problems are quite common amongst chronically heavy drinkers and alcoholics. In all cases, continued drinking makes it worse, never better. In many cases, cessation of drinking alone goes a long way to solving the problem. If she's suggesting you continue drinking until a detox program is worked out, I'm guessing your intake is considerable enough to warrant concern that sudden detox could result in DTs. So I'd suggest keeping the appointment, and meanwhile why not check out AA in your local area?
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby ksross » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:40 am

Yeah. I think I am. My gf describes herself as the "kid with the coloring book" at meetings when she was a girl. She really likes AA and is convinced that it can save my life. I worry that because my drinking has never caused social or domestic problems that it went unchecked for too long.

I do drink too much, and last time I tried to stop, I went insane. I went seven days, but on the third or fourth day I thought bugs were jumping around the room--I freaked out and that scared Erin a lot. The last three or four days I just was miserable and the first excuse I could snatch up (a fight with Erin) I took off and bought a 30 pack.

Is it OK to check out meetings while weening off and detoxing? I would never show up at a meeting with booze on my breath (drinking prior to), but I think I would feel guilty drinking after, just to stop this weird shaking and anxiety. Sometimes it gets so bad my face spasms.

I just am a little new to this, and I've been hiding this for a long time, and denying it. My gf told me that my alcoholism is very obvious to someone who knows the disease.

I need to quit.
ksross
Forums Newcomer

Postby Blue Moon » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:34 pm

It's never too late to quit drinking :) Just take the prescribed actions - if you just accept the medical help to physically detox, and then accept the help of AA and take the actions to stay sober, you need never drink again.

Attending meetings should be no problem if you're still drinking, you do not have to be sober to be in an AA meeting. If you have a desire to quit drinking (which you've already expressed here), you qualify for membership.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby ksross » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:02 pm

Thanks Blue Moon. You seem to have a lot to share in order to help. Do you have a link to a thread that would explain your story?
ksross
Forums Newcomer

Postby stephbridget » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:39 pm

She told you to NOT stop drinking til you met again?
Focus on the Now...
stephbridget
Forums Old Timer

Postby ksross » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:27 pm

She suggested that I not drink as heavily, but doesn't want me to just stop.

Tomorrow I'm just stopping and going to detox throughout the weekend, despite what my doc recommends. That might sound careless, but I can deal with that crap for a few days. I need to get in shape and get good food in me. I found a raw diet that I think will work.
ksross
Forums Newcomer

Postby stephbridget » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:50 pm

Best of luck to you. Please keep us updated.

Love
Steph in TX
Focus on the Now...
stephbridget
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:02 am

A number of our members, past and present, have their personal stories about what they were like, what happened, and what they're like now at http://www.e-aa.org/html/stories.html

Obviously, the "what we're like now" evolves. How it evolves depends on what we do, how we react to new situations.

If you get to an AA meeting, they should have the book "Alcoholics Anonymous", the Big Book. There's lots of personal stories in there.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Holly96 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:27 pm

Hi KS

boy could I relate....

when I stopped drinking, I had messed up my liver as well. the good news is, once you stop putting poison in your body.....the damage stops.

My liver is ok now......but it took a while.

I had the doctor tell me the same thing. he told me I could cut down, but dont stop drinking. I guess they thought the amount I was consuming was a lot, and if I stopped suddenly, I could suffer medical complications.
(I can relate to picking up a case, and heading off)

There is a solution KS....and it has been proven to work. That solution is AA, and the 12 steps....

A good diet will help you become healthier, but it wont "fix" the problem ....

Good luck, and keep us posted.

AA works....if you let it....
don't leave before the miracle...you will be amazed.

Holly
Holly96
Forums Long Timer

Postby Richard C » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:10 pm

My liver has some problems with it as well. In sobriety I have learned to address many health issues including food allergies and proper sleep and (I hate to say it) better oral hygene.

Well, it's been progress, but not perfection, but I have to say that I'm feeling generally much better than I have in years.

Try to remember that our bodies are TOUGH! How else could we survive the years of self abuse and torture that most of us have been through? Maybe we will never be 16 again, but we can always have progress in healing and learn to deal with our problems today. The beauty of it is that we can stop hurting ourselves now.

I heard that your liver can function quite well in a reduced capacity as long as you stop hurting it. It's good news.

It's really worth it. Good luck and I hope you stay sober!

Richard (alcoholic)
Sober = GOOD!
Richard C
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ksross » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:31 am

Thanks guys. This support is great. I started a new thread on my detox proccess (I'm nervous about). I tried to cold turkey it, but nearly ended up in the ER--on the second night I got out of hand and entered pure panic mode. Thank God my girlfriend was there to rub my back and calm me down.

I'm starting to realize this isn't a joke. It's not easy.

Since, I've been back to my NP and she prescribed me meds to help me calm down during the detox period, and I've gotten LADC. I have a week off from school for winter break, so we are going to try and get me detoxed before I start again on Monday.

Again, thanks for the support.
ksross
Forums Newcomer

Postby Holly96 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:18 pm

hang in there and do the detox process as your doctor suggested.
Its not fun...
military vet here too...and an alcoholic!

No its not a joke. This disease (and it is a disease) wants to kill you. It will do whatever it can to work towards that goal.

The 12 steps of AA, and the support I have found in the rooms of AA (both face to face and E-aa), are the foundation of my program of recovery. Through the process, I discovered a Higher Power of my understanding, and have been blessed with a wonderful life. Just so you know....it can (and does) get better..... Hang in there

Good luck!
don't leave before the miracle...you will be amazed.

Holly
Holly96
Forums Long Timer

Postby ksross » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:56 pm

Hey Holly,
thanks. I just returned from getting my meds and people like you and those who I have met during this realization of my alcoholism have been remarkable. I have been given so much literature, and being a writing major--I read a lot--so I've read every sentence of AA, the 12 Steps, a Brief History of AA and Living Sober. I am impressed with these works, because I can relate to all of it.

Does anyone know of any other books, which would be helpful? Or should I just start rereading?
ksross
Forums Newcomer

Return to Discussions