Sharing for beginners

For recovery discussion

Sharing for beginners

Postby GregP » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:49 am

Sharing

After 6 months sobriety I've been asked to give my first main share - 15 minutes on what it was like before, what happened, and what its like now - this Friday.

I've tried the usual techniques of pretending it isn't true, and panicking, but neither seem to help. Any advice?
_ ________________________________________ _
Greg from England
"Keep coming back, it works if you work it, so work it - you're worth it."
GregP
Forums Newcomer

Postby whitmore_fan » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:15 am

Hi Greg, it can be a bit daunting doing your first main share but my advice would be to just tell it from the heart, don't try to remember a pre-prepared speach. Most people seem to talk about their drinking history, how they came to be in AA and their experiences in AA so far. It really helps the newcomers to see what happens in the life of recovery.

Personally I like the share that talk about recovery and like less the shares that go into detail about drinking history - we are all alcoholics and have done bad things, I thing that's a given, but sometiimes it seems to me there is a little competition to whom was the baddest. I tend to briefly talk about why I think I started drinking alcoholically and my life at the time but then I like to talk about how I cam to be in AA and the lengths I've taken to stay sober. This is the real message in a share for me.

Only my opinion, I'm sure you will be great whatever you decide to say.

Good luck
Ian
"Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!"
whitmore_fan
Forums Contributor

Postby Wayne C. » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:34 am

Remember this, no one is there to judge you. :D
Wayne

"Half measures availed us nothing"
Wayne C.
Forums Enthusiast

AA talks.

Postby Jim 725 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:08 am

I was very nervous the first time I spoke. Another AA asked if I was an alcoholic, and I said yes. He told me to tell the truth. Simple solution, but it worked, and still works.
Jim S.
Jim 725

Postby Layne » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:46 am

Make yourself a few notes on paper as to points you want to cover in your talk. Right before you walk in the door, pull them out of your pocket and throw them away. Sit down and speak from your heart. There are no right shares and no wrong shares. All shares are great opportunities for everybody present to learn, grow, and practise the principals. I was so nervous the first time I spoke that I said it would probably be the shortest share in history. I didn't time it, and it might have been, but you know what, if nothing else, some other person sitting there could probably relate to my shyness and that might give them courage for when their time comes to share.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Dale R. » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:21 pm

Get up there, and let God put the words in your mouth.
Dale R.
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Holly96 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:05 pm

well...how did it go!? :D

I know for my "first time"......... I had this speach all written down...notes.............cause it had to be perfect. I still smile whe I think of how crazy that was! (and how stressful!). I was mortified to share!

Now I simply ask God .......(or whatever Higher Power you have) to help me, when I am asked to share my story. Imagine that.

I also have noticed when I first started sharing....I shared about "what life was like"..........

as time has gone on...I try and focus on "what changed...and what it is like now." Not to say that I dont touch on how crappy things were....but I want to share that it can (and does) get better....and if I let my Higher Power run the show....amazing things happen!
don't leave before the miracle...you will be amazed.

Holly
Holly96
Forums Long Timer

Postby Yvon P. » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:33 am

Talk about what you "know", not about what you think! Share the "common solution", the "way out" on which we can absolutely agree.

We all know how to drink BUT we don't all know how to live a happy, productive, sober life! That is what it's all about!

I wasn't permitted to speak at meetings after I decided to get a "sponsor" to take me through the Steps. He told me that if I was called upon to speak, I should get on my feet, say, "my name is Yvon and I'm an alcoholic" and sit my ass down because then I will have shared everything I know. Tough! But effective!

Once we went through the Book together. Once I did my Steps. Once I understood the AA Program of Recovery found in the first 164 pages of the Big Book. Once I was equiped to carry "The Message", I was able to do just that! Carry the Message! And quite frankly, that's all the suffering alcoholic needs to hear! OUCH!!

Kind Regards,

Yvon
Recovered Alcoholic
"Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program".
Yvon P.
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Discussions