Finding Faith

For recovery discussion

Finding Faith

Postby stephbridget » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:44 pm

Stephanie alcoholic in TX. I wanted to post a topic just to share.

I always heard of the spiritual experience. Some may have had the
MOMENT but to me finding spirituality came in time.
I think the thing that made me truly realize was when my sponsor left
as I would not do everything she told me anymore and me realizing I
was depressed and feeling hurt and finally told her I could not do
what she always wanted-I shared that I was hurt at a meeting and a
gentleman looked at me and said:

Sweetheart you have FAITH. No one has KEPT you sober but FAITH and
GOD. It was only then I was able to truly SEE that I did have faith
but was not sure what it was.

Today I live my days and keep an open mind to myself. I have FAITH
and am not religious in anyway and see that my spirituality is what
guides me. I speak to GOD as a friend and do not feel controlled as I
was taught in Catholic school.

To me faith can not be drawn or pictured..it is just around me and I
know it is there as that is what keeps me sober each day. I have
learned to trust in something I truly believe and feel yet can not
see.

Love
Steph in TX
Focus on the Now...
stephbridget
Forums Old Timer

Postby Yvon P. » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:53 am

Hi Steph! Great topic. I guess to me, "Faith" is that Promise that "we will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us". I too, am not religious in any way and was brought up in a french canadian catholic family. But I do like the qote from the Bigger Book that states: "Faith is the substance of things hoped for - the evidence of things not yet seen".

I guess our faith can be measured by our reactions to people, places and things.

Faith for me is knowing that I can sit on the train with the upmost confidence that the Engineer is in full control and that He is not me. The product of this Faith is in my willingness to attract others through kindness, compassion and truth to ensure that the train is full when it leaves the station. There is always room for one more providing he/she is willing to go to any lengths to climb aboard. And belive me, I want that train to be full!!

Kind Regards,

Yvon
Recovered Alcoholic
"Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program".
Yvon P.
Forums Enthusiast

Postby From the heart » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:56 am

These are two great experiences, thank you for sharing them

It is impossible for another person to be a substitute for ones Faith, yet most cling to the possibilities that another person, place or thing will work.
If I can remember and not get diverted, publicly and privately, from our own simple principles of honesty, tolerance and humility, and that I live only but for the Grace of God.
Things work out ok, its only when E over I gets in the way of I over E.
I = intelligence
E = Emotions
From the heart
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Hullabaloo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:12 pm

Thanks for sharing. I have always believed in God, being taught that I needed to do this and that when I was young. Like many, I lost my way. I certain I was guilty of my "intelligence" taking over and my "ego" controlled my life. That's all I needed, right? I could not have been more wrong! My so-called intelligence got me drunk, over and over! My faith was restored when I walked through the doors. I also talk to God as though He is a friend. I have an on-going conversation with Him throughout the day, sometimes for just a second and sometimes longer. Now when I talk, I'm not bargaining. I ask for His will and for the strength to not question it. I'm positive that the harder I work and the more receptive to Him that I am able to become, the more He will help with getting my life squared away. He might give me more than I can handle alone, but there is nothing that He and I can't handle together!
Hullabaloo
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Discussions