Topic Discussion: Gratitude

For recovery discussion

Topic Discussion: Gratitude

Postby stephbridget » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:17 am

This is a forum for topic discussion on recovery.
I will start off with a topic of Gratitude.

Stephanie alcoholic in TX.

Today I do not make huge gratitude lists. I simply talk to the God that I came to know in the morning and just sometimes say thank you at night.

I am grateful to be alive each day, to be sober, to be healthy, to have a
student say thank you for listening or helping me as when I was drinking I was not that great of a teacher and just did the motions.

Today it is just the small things like my students, my daily workouts and just being sober and alive that I am grateful for.

Stephanie in TX

Please keep the topic related to recovery and alcohol.
Focus on the Now...
stephbridget
Forums Old Timer

Gratitude

Postby munchkinzmom » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:04 pm

Lori, here in WI. Sober today thanks to AA's fellowship and my HP.
Gratitude was a foreign word to me while drinking. I've made long lists, short lists and verbal lists. I like writing down what I'm greatful for so I can go back and remember to be greatful when I forget to be greatful. Being a drunk for 30 years and coming out of it with my health and mind gives me much gratitude. When I'm having a difficult day I force myself to evaluate what I have. Thinking of what I'm got: my children,home,reliable transportation usually leaves me feeling better. I used to complain my home is too small (4 kids, 2bedrooms) now I'm greatful just to have my mobile home. I'm greatful to be able to be of help to my elderly neighbor when she needs me. Under the lash of alcoholism I was useless to others as well as self. God has given me a precious gift and I try to remind myself that no matter how bad it get's I'm greatful to be alive and sober.
ODAAT
The Munchkinz Mom
munchkinzmom
Forums Newcomer

Postby Layne » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:07 am

Layne, an alcoholic.
I am grateful for the growth that I experience. I am grateful to feel lousy, to feel joy, to feel anger, to feel serenity. For years, I tried to suppress feelings, the very things that make me human. Today I am grateful that I allow myself to be human.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Jason_S » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:49 pm

Jason, alcoholic

I quit drinking for 7 years up until July of 2005. I didnt miss it at all. Then one day I asked myself, "what if I can handle it now?" At first it went smooth, but it isnt in my nature to drink responsibly. I drink to the point of doing damage to my body. I am 38 and last night I had 18 16oz beers. That is too much. I can't seem to get it together enough to go even more than a few days without a drink when I do try to quit. I am still on the oxazepam given to me 9 years ago to help me quit back then, but the cravings for a buzz are so intense that it overrides the medicine.

I am grateful that I am still alive and have a chance to quit. I pray that I will be able to.
Jason_S
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Holly96 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:12 pm

Holly here, grateful alcoholic.

Gratitude....what a great topic. I am so grateful for my sobriety. My life has chnged so much. I have chnaged so much. I thank God each day....and before I didnt even believe....in anything....

sometimes I can get a little complacent, and that tells me its time to do more service work. Seems when life is going great....its easy to rest on our laurels :-) I have seen too many people go back out after years sober....I am grateful today....i am sober.
don't leave before the miracle...you will be amazed.

Holly
Holly96
Forums Long Timer

Postby Bham34 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:32 pm

Honestly, I get a little tired of hearing about gratitude sometimes. Not lately though. I have had so much gratitude for dang near everything. Big things, little things, it doean't seem to matter very much what it is I have just been filled with gratitude. And its not smething that I can even describe in words. Just this incredible feeling of peace and serentiy and that the world is just the coolest thing.

I have had several periods during my sobriety that have been like this and I have to say that it makes everything worthwhile. Thank God for this program and the people who remind me of things just like this every day.

Brian
Bham34
Forums Enthusiast

Postby zb » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:15 pm

Layne wrote:Layne, an alcoholic.
I am grateful for the growth that I experience. I am grateful to feel lousy, to feel joy, to feel anger, to feel serenity. For years, I tried to suppress feelings, the very things that make me human. Today I am grateful that I allow myself to be human.

Amen to that. I couldn't have said it better. When I'm drinking, it's like my life is on hold, like I'm scared to feel all those things that make up the human experience, both bad and good. I drank both when I was sad or angry and when I was happy. Sometimes sober I catch myself and think, you know what? I feel really good today. How often do you say that when you're drinking?

ZB
"You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." Frank Zappa
zb
Forums Enthusiast

Postby michaelkohel » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:22 pm

For me it's real simple gratitude is an action not a feeling.If i'm gratefull to God and for this new life then i do what ever i can to serve/help others as He will have me.mikey
michaelkohel

Postby Yvon P. » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:03 am

Mikey, right on Brother! "Gratitude" is not something to be described. It is something to be lived. The true measure of my "gratitude" can be seen in the relationships I have with the people around me. The best way to find out how grateful one is, is to speak to those whose lives we affect. That will be the best barometer on "Gratitude".

Kind Regards,

Yvon
Recovered Alcoholic
"Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program".
Yvon P.
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Discussions