work leadership

For recovery discussion
RachelG
Forums Enthusiast

work leadership

Post by RachelG »

All-
Does anyone have some experience with good recovery and years of sobriety...when life gets good...and then your competitive fast-paced work environment starts to notice you and you find yourself being asked to be in positions of leadership? The office politics? The leadership decisions? I'm finding it a bit confusing how to be in a leadership position at work and still be living AAs program. For example, boss's boss asks me to help with something, I do, boss feels left out, gets jealous and starts doing weird things to minimize my voice...I'm not sure how to respond. It feels all crazy and position and ego. It seems like I knew better how to exist in this world while drinking...I understood position and power and ego better. Now it seems like I have a different operating system installed and I'm unsure how to run it in this environment! Any similar experiences?

D'oh
Forums Old Timer

Re: work leadership

Post by D'oh »

Yes, I have been there, and for Years. I catch the Ego thing faster now, but it still gets in the way.

I try to "Just do my Job." because, well it's the way I provide things/stuff for my Family. Nothing More, Nothing Less.

"Doing what I ought to do, Because I want to do it." (example) Holding a Door open for a Nice Little Old Lady, in a Driving Rain Storm, getting Soaaking Wet.

Not because I want a Pat on the Back, but because It is the Right thing to do. The "Merit" in acting this way? Well Look around! I am Sober Today!!! Life is Great!!! My Family has All the Stuff they Need to enjoy it!

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

RachelG wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:32 am
For example, boss's boss asks me to help with something, I do, boss feels left out, gets jealous and starts doing weird things to minimize my voice...I'm not sure how to respond.
Are you sure they are trying to ... ? You can never really know what another person thinks or means to do - only what they actually do - without you characterizing it in any way. This is where you can speak about it to your sponsor or sober sisters. I mean that you may be ad libbing their intent.

Along that same line ditto what D'oh said... Just do your job. both in the employment and in the sobriety. The experiences of the people around you are not you business. You cannot dictate or guess about anything about them and you can only be the Best You that you can Be. Do the next right thing. Be where your hands are. Don't act on what you think they think you think... Act out of Love and not Fear... False Evidence Appearing Real.

Don't forget to ask your HP for Help!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

RachelG
Forums Enthusiast

Post by RachelG »

Thanks!! Yep. When I inventoried I came up with fear (worry what might happen), self-delusion (thinking something is happening that isn’t), and selfish (thinking so much about myself I was disregarding others. You all were right. There is enormous fear about stepping into a leadership role and being “visible”. But fear can also make me selfish and a bit delusional at times! Lol. And I don’t want to live there anymore. So -prayers for HP it is!

D'oh
Forums Old Timer

Post by D'oh »

I always believe that "We judge Others by our Own Actions" well because We don't really have a Road Map otherwise.

So if We would cheat on our Spouse, if We would steal from a Friend, if We would Lie to a Employer, well, They will Cheat, Steal, and Lie also.

But, My thinking is quite warped from Alcoholism. I did so Many things that I forgot what Normal was.

I heard a Speaker say "I had to stop going to Football Games, because when they All went into a Huddle, I knew they were talking about Me."

AA, has showed me that I am not the Center of the Universe. Just a Grateful part of it.

piceanjoy
Forums Newcomer

Post by piceanjoy »

Thank you for this thread. I work as an underwriter, and it's kind of a theme of being paid to ”be right” each day. Giving answers people don't often want hear, etc. In sobriety I'm learning how to do this without self righteousness and my ego getting entangled with my job... And reminding myself that working the steps will help me stay centered no matter what comes my way each day. My job isn't my identity, as I used to see it that way. It's just a means for supporting myself and my loved ones financially, as it is for most, and reminding myself that I don't have to take everything at work too personally. People are people and work is just another place to practice my humility and to be of service. Thine God's will be done not mine. Blessings!

Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Post by Jojo2 »

piceanjoy wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:27 pm
Thank you for this thread. I work as an underwriter, and it's kind of a theme of being paid to ”be right” each day. Giving answers people don't often want hear, etc. In sobriety I'm learning how to do this without self righteousness and my ego getting entangled with my job... And reminding myself that working the steps will help me stay centered no matter what comes my way each day. My job isn't my identity, as I used to see it that way. It's just a means for supporting myself and my loved ones financially, as it is for most, and reminding myself that I don't have to take everything at work too personally. People are people and work is just another place to practice my humility and to be of service. Thine God's will be done not mine. Blessings!
Thank you for this. It took me a long while to realise we work to live not live to work ! I'm still a work in progress ...