The habit of Self-searching

For recovery discussion
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

The habit of Self-searching

Post by PaigeB » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:27 am

For the wise have always known that no one can make much of his life until self-searching becomes a regular habit, until he is able to admit and accept what he finds, and until he patiently and persistently tries to correct what is wrong.

TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 88
By the time I got to this Step (the 2nd time around - 8 yrs) Self-searching was indeed a bit of a habit. Each of us grows and changes in ways that are not completely at our speed or direction. However, I do believe that we must do the Work (Steps) AND we need to practice and habituate ourselves by Acting our way into a new way of thinking. We have to continue to push ourselves to grow in this program. IMHO it is a "proper use of the will".

Check out page 85 in the Big Book...
Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God's will into all of our activities. "How can I best serve Thee - Thy will (not mine) be done." These are thoughts which must go with us constantly. We can exercise our will power along this line all we wish. It is the proper use of the will.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65