Dealing with other Mental Illnesses

For recovery discussion
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Dealing with other Mental Illnesses

Post by D'oh » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:26 am

So, I will try to be Politically Correct. As I hope others will also.

Since coming back into AA (yes Defeated) I have noticed many members talking about Asperger, Depression, OCD, Anxiety Disorder, and others. All Medically Diagnosed.

Yes I am not a Doctor, I am just an Alcoholic. But being an Alcoholic, I can relate to so many symptoms of other Mental Illnesses. I just prescribed Alcohol for those symptoms.

But the Book, and other Members state "Alcohol was but a symptom" Which I whole heartedly agree with. So the Program treats the Symptoms.

So, in bringing up other Mental Illnesses at AA Meetings, concerns me that it is being used as an excuse, and these Members might not benefit from the Program, the Life that is Granted us, if we keep in a "Fit Spiritual Condition."

I believe "Complete Defeat" as an Alcoholic, was what lead me to this Gift and the Promises.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Dealing with other Mental Illnesses

Post by PaigeB » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:18 pm

Thanks D'oh! I too will try to be politically correct - aka nice. :wink:

I know a case where a gal had alcoholism. Later in life she found meth and she has changed drastically in so many ways. But, for the most part she tells that she could quit the meth when she removed herself from that crowd. She was able to stay away from meth with relative ease - until she had a drink or 6. She always says that she is an alcoholic - that booze was her drug of choice and her gateway to all other drugs.

When she finally got to a treatment center one of the very first things they did was get her to a shrink for a diagnosis. Within about 4 days she was dx'd with Bi-Polar disorder. Check out the symptoms of the 3 things - meth withdrawal, alcohol withdrawal and Bi-polar. It is all pretty much the same stuff... but the treatments are SO much different and life changing. She relates her story that after using meth so much and after using their chemical solution she says that her brain is different now and she will never be happy without meth or the doctor's chemicals. She has ceased to try sober living - even with the doctor's chemicals.

Sometimes doctor's can misdiagnose. I think that sometimes doctors who are strangers to their patients prescribe drugs that are an easy answer.. a chemical answer for a spiritual problem. I always suggest that folks wait a bit before they get a diagnosis... I also suggest second and 3rd opinions.

As it is with alcoholism, I think a person has to get all the information they can gather about themselves and make a decision - the answer IS inside us, we just have to look for it.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:43 pm

I have met a few people in AA who couldn’t really say their desire was to stop drinking, it was more like I suffer from X & Y and take certain medications, and I get sick if I drink, therefore I need AA in case I am tempted.

I agree that it was ‘complete defeat’ and hitting rock bottom, which enabled me to embrace the program sufficiently to have a spiritual awaking, and see all the promises come true, and then some. The book speaks about not being able to do this until we have hit bottom, and I can’t see someone who doesn't drink only because they have some illness other than alcoholism, benefiting like someone who has been through the alcohol wringer.

The problem for me is one of others being able to relate, I will be polite and kind to anyone in AA, but secretly get disappointed when someone is speaking about things like mental illness, it’s OK with me I can tune out, but the new person comes to hear about one type of illness, and that’s alcoholism.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:54 pm

Sometimes doctor's can misdiagnose. I think that sometimes doctors who are strangers to their patients prescribe drugs that are an easy answer.. a chemical answer for a spiritual problem. I always suggest that folks wait a bit before they get a diagnosis... I also suggest second and 3rd opinions.
Also, how often is an Alcoholic truely Honest with a Doctor about their drinking, while being Treated. As I have said "I didn't drink my first day of Kindergarten, but I sure could have used one."

The Illness, Disease, Mental Issues were there for me, long before the Drink. The Drink just Medicated it for a while, Then it took control and the troubles followed. The Bottle was the Relief, the Portable Vacation, in the beginning. But it just Postponed and Compounded the inetivable.

So, by admitting "Complete Defeat" it is not only the Bottle, but "Why I reached for it." The Steps and the Program/Fellowship offers a way of living, so much deeper than Me and the Bottle. Dr. Paul O. states this beautifully in his Share "Acceptance is the Answer"

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:58 am

This is a very delicate situation. The individual has to realize that. And the worst part is everybody has their opinion about this program, i am talking about people in recovery. That is more fatal than people with other conditions. I have altered my mindset to be of use to people who are willing to atleast try this program. I do the best to transpire knowledge to other person and leave the rest to God.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:50 am

and leave the rest to God
And that is Exactly it. Has a Higher Power not led Everyone that enters the Doors, to the Doors?

I have been graced with merely helping a Member with rides to meetings. This Member is trained in helping people with "anther Mental Illness." This Member is helping 2 other Members, cope with this Mental Illness, in ways that "I" as an Alcoholic Sales Person, could never help.

But, they were all brought together, in the Doors of AA. We read Physician, Heals Thyself, last night. The Banker, Baker, Lawyer, and Carpenter all come to mind here. The Miracle is all around us.

hold my hand<3
Forums Enthusiast

Post by hold my hand<3 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:40 am

Thanks for your post. I have a duel struggle with alcoholism and eating disorders, they both spawn each other. Horrible combination. I’m thankful to this site for inspiring my recovery for both diseases. I believe that my eating disorder will improve with treatment for my alcoholism. Thank you for raising awareness to this topic.