Baffling nature of this disease

For recovery discussion
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Baffling nature of this disease

Post by avaneesh912 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:54 am

A member has been in and out of the rooms for several years now and just past Friday was involved in a car wreck. If you look at the photo of the damage you would wonder if the person survived or not. Yet, yesterday (Tuesday) the member is not sure if the person is an alcoholic or not. I am glad that the realization came to me much much before hearing all these horror stories. I saw that if I continue this way of living, these were imminent. What a blessing. All I could tell this person was we cant scare you into recovery but with the way things are, hope you dont kill someone next time you are in a wreck.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Re: Baffling nature of this disease

Post by PaigeB » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:49 am

Chapter 3 (pg 30 BB) told me what I had that finally made me stop, because no consequences were enough. I had that magical mind that had me laughing off fender benders and rationalizing arrests etc etc. NO THING was great enough. Not until I found "pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization."

This demoralization happens on the inside and may or may not be attached to something on the outside.

Ironically, I heard that "I might not be an alcoholic" statement at my home Group this week. Spring is in the air. I guess some folks still fantasizing and romanticizing drinking might be prone to thinking "Maybe I over estimated this drinking thing." Getting sober is a mix of demoralization & desperation of Knowing that it would not ever get better. Call it a moment of Clarity or a moment of Grace. For me it was a matter of putting those 2 things together, and pausing to let that sink in, that got me to stop digging deeper into the Hole and reach out for a Helping Hand at an AA meeting.

Soon I found the entirety of page 30 where it tells me the first step in recovery too - I had to "fully concede to my innermost self that I was alcoholic." I sort of did that in my moment of demoralizing desperation - I had this disease and it would never get better unless I had Help. I did it again with a few weeks of sober time. I needed to get it right or I would die.

Now I Knew I had to work the Steps if I wanted long term sobriety and some manner of saneness.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65