How Much Work?

For recovery discussion

How Much Work?

Postby FYI » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:42 am

If someone who just completed the steps said, ‘the promise came true, I no longer feel to drink, now how much work is needed to maintain this gift?’

What might be a good answer?
FYI
Trusted Servant

Re: How Much Work?

Postby PaigeB » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:05 am

"Keep doing what you're doing and do a little more each day! If we are not moving forward we are falling back. Rest a little now & then - but remain vigilant for alcohol is a subtle foe."
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:33 am

Hmmmmmm how about a life-times worth of work, or better phased a life-time of practice. I was lucky enough to have a sponsor that induced to the principles of AA by taking me through the step. To me the 12th is pretty clear on that, something about all of our affairs.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby tomsteve » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:57 pm

FYI wrote:If someone who just completed the steps said, ‘the promise came true, I no longer feel to drink, now how much work is needed to maintain this gift?’

What might be a good answer?

read the first full paragraph on pg 19 and page 85.

p.s.
if only "the promise" came true, then maybe more work on the steps is required as theres a lot of promises
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:38 am

Sobriety is a by product of alcoholic growing spiritually. So, If I stop growing spiritually the insanity will return. In book it clearly talks about in 4th step section.

But with the alcoholic, whose hope is the maintenance and growth of a spiritual experience, this business of resentment is infinitely grave. We found that it is fatal. For when harboring such feeling we shut ourselves off from the sunlight of the Spirit. The insanity of alcohol returns and we drink again. And with us, to drink is to die.

As long as we have our mind, there is always something coming up if we are not alert, we could get sucked into it. And there is a good chance that we could get caught in the blank spot.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby anand » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:43 am

Yeah, not a simple answer. "Half Measures Availed us Nothing" does also continue sort of into the Recovered period as well. A friend of mine says "it's like walking up the down escalator, you have to do a certain amount of work to stay in one place - you have to do more work than the escalator to move upward."

The catch however is AA "maintenance" isn't really maintenance, it is actually a continual growth. I've found that if I stagnate spiritually it feels the same as sliding backwards. that's the paradox - maintaining is also sliding backwards - Progress is maintaining (even though it is progress too).

What makes it even harder to answer, is what feels like "work" becomes relative. You eventually get accustomed to a certain amount of "AA Practice" - so you almost don't even notice. For example, I don't consider my daily prayers and quiet time "work." I do consider meetings an outrageous chore though :D. Or the random 12th step call where you drop what you're doing to run and talk to a dude who is a total mess can sometimes feel like a burden OR can sometimes be extremely exciting and fun.

Another caveat I've noticed is the more spiritual "progress" you make, the harder it is to make noticeable progress - the very thing necessary to "maintain" a recovered state (constant growth). It's a bit of an S-curve. In my case after 14+ years - I may not have to go to as many meetings as I did when I was new, or maybe the game of mental whack-a-mole/step 10 activity that is deflecting character defects may be finally slowing down, and my sponsees are no longer very demanding - but the amount of abstract spiritual contemplation and meditation time I have to put in has Increased for sure.
Hi, I'm Anand and I'm an Alcoholic. And have been since 7/14/2003. Thank you for being here.
anand
Forums Newcomer

Postby brine » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:40 pm

I have been sober for almost 11 months. I have been feeling exhausted, mentally and physically.
brine
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:47 pm

What makes it even harder to answer, is what feels like "work" becomes relative. You eventually get accustomed to a certain amount of "AA Practice" - so you almost don't even notice. For example, I don't consider my daily prayers and quiet time "work."

Very well said, the word ‘work’ sounds like it’s going to be hard, but it ends up being a natural thing to do, and we don’t miss the time spent in doing it, it’s when we don’t do it we miss the serenity that it brings.

Another caveat I've noticed is the more spiritual "progress" you make, the harder it is to make noticeable progress.

I have noticed this as well, in my case others have noticed things I now take for granted, and didn’t see it’s in fact a part of progress. The sort of patting myself on the back for doing the right thing has disappeared, there is no effort or thought that goes into being kind, in the chapter ‘Into Action,’ it says - "it becomes a working part of the mind.” What I notice is a change in the things that now give pleasure and joy, things I took for granted in nature especially, looking at a bird hopping across the yard, and smiling like a kid who never saw such a thing before. Someone wrote a good truth here a couple of weeks ago - “We all experience moments of awe and wonder at times in our life....that is a spiritual experience....its not what I believe its what I have and continue to experience.”

A short answer to the question of how much work we need to do, might be, 'do enough to keep you happy.'
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Brock » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:57 pm

brine wrote:I have been sober for almost 11 months. I have been feeling exhausted, mentally and physically.

Welcome to e-AA brine.

I hope you have worked on the steps of AA and not just ‘been sober,’ which can be very hard work. Maybe you can let us know a little more about what you are feeling, and whether or not you attend meetings, or have done any of the steps. Anything you want to say please feel free to say it, trying to help others is the main function of these forums, and we enjoy it.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Mike O » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:32 pm

None of what I do on a daily basis in order to maintain my sobriety is "work". Prayer, meditation, helping other alcoholics....it's all just part of everyday life.
:)
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Db1105 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:54 pm

Recovered does not mean cured. The 12 Steps became my way of life, not work
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:54 pm

How much work is involved in eating, getting dressed, taking a shower, etc.? Just a little activity each day. I don't consider it work, it's just something I do.

The first year or so was "work" as I was working on changing the habits of a lifetime.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Return to Discussions