Hiding Places.

For recovery discussion

Hiding Places.

Postby Brock » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:24 pm

I never had to hide alcohol after I came to need it every day, my wife more or less gave up asking me to stop, but over the years I have heard some good stories in meetings of members hiding places. My friend Joey who passed away used to say he hid it in the garden shed, but had to be very careful because the hinges squeaked, so he would open it very slowly. What he found strange, was that he never thought about oiling the hinges, until after he got sober in AA.

Many years ago I worked for a small company doing household maintenance, a lady called and said the handle on her toilet was stuck, please come and check it. When I lifted the cover, there was a bottle of rum that was jamming the mechanism, I took it out and she got all red in the face and I said no charge. Myself and the fellow with me had a good laugh in the truck about it, but now I understand the desperation that must have had her husband hiding it there when he went to work that morning, not knowing it might jam the handle, and wish I could have seen then what was ahead for me.

The lengths desperation leads alcoholics to is sad, but at some stories we can smile, if anyone has a favorite hiding story perhaps they will share it.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Re: Hiding Places.

Postby Spirit Flower » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:20 pm

I lived by myself. Why did I think I could hide the bottle of gin behind the Tostitos on the top shelf and forget about it?
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:04 am

I'd buy a stockpile of booze, keep some for my immediate needs, and then hide the rest. And because Mrs Tosh is like Sherlock Holmes, I got fairly creative where I hid the stuff.

For example, a lot of my drinking was done while 'walking the dog', so I'd hide booze in hedgerows at the sides of fields.

And then, because I was drunk when I hid the booze, I couldn't find which bit of hedge I'd hidden it in.

It might sound funny, but remember the sheer frustration of the search and ending up empty handed. I'd then have to - somehow - get to a shop to get more, but I always did, because I'd go to any lengths to get booze.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Jojo2 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:04 am

That made me smile, Brock.
I had been sober a while when I was surprised to discover a bottle of wine hidden inside a wellington boot. I was always hiding alcohol from myself, but couldn't always remember where it was !
I didn't hide any at work.
I remember a woman at f2f talking about hiding her vodka bottle in the toilet cistern at work. Another was late opening the bank for the day as she had taken the wrong bottle of 'orange' from the 'fridge and needed to go back home first.
Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Postby tomsteve » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:46 am

the windshield washer reservoir in my truck could hold quite a bit of jim beam. it was quite simple to plumb the squirter hose into the cab. easy peasy topoff of a drink for the ride home from work.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby PaigeB » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:09 am

I took the labels off of the vodka and "hid" it in plain sight in the freezer. hubby never really knew when I got another bottle though. Then I hid the vodka in my "glass of wine" and even started topping off cans of beer with it!

I was also one of those folks that went to different places to BUY my booze, so the clerk didn't see me buying 2 cases of beer too close together. One Saturday afternoon I broke down and went to the corner store. I put that suitcase of beer on the counter and the clerk said, "Hi! Long time no see! I almost thought you had quit drinking!" :?
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:30 am

We found an empty vodka bottle a year and half after we got sober. And we even moved during that time. If it would have had something in it we would understand but neither one of us why she save an empty.lol
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby positrac » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:07 am

Us drunks are pretty clever!!!! Some funny points on our desire and yet how fogged our vision really was.
I was single and lived on a ship and I was never one to hide my booze on the ship as I just drank in which ever port we took up with and once out to sea I was hating life! I later found out that many of the crew hide their stash in different areas as to keep the shakes down and or just a nip here and there.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:55 am

One incident I remember where my wife threw reminder of a 12 pack beer pack into the woods sometime in summer. Winter came and on a dry Sunday morning (bear in mind back then there was no sale on Sunday), as the greens had whithered/dried up those aluminum cans started glittering in the sun. It was then priceless.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:58 am

Spirit Flower wrote:I lived by myself. Why did I think I could hide the bottle of gin behind the Tostitos on the top shelf and forget about it?

I was in a meeting with a gal last night who told this very same story! Problem was she looked for it (and finished it) later that same night! :lol:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:49 pm

PaigeB wrote:
Spirit Flower wrote:I lived by myself. Why did I think I could hide the bottle of gin behind the Tostitos on the top shelf and forget about it?

I was in a meeting with a gal last night who told this very same story! Problem was she looked for it (and finished it) later that same night! :lol:

Exactly! Me too! An hour later!
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby XKazzX » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:18 pm

My wife eventually started the findimg my hiding spots in the house and in the yard. Top of the fridge behind things, behind plant shelves, on top of kitchen cabinets stratigicly placed behind the crown molding, behind giant tool chest in the garage, outside in shrubs, behind Kurrig, I only got pints during the week and could smash that in less than an hour so it’s secrecy was a short endeavor. It was the big bottles that I had problems with on the weekends. I got so clever of hiding the last 1/4 bottle for Saturday or Sunday mornings while I was smashed, I could not remember where I hid it the next morning. I would get so ticked off and a huge prick digging around the house, garage and yard, endlessly like I had OCD, for my morning kicker until I found it or until the liquor store opened at 10am. Day 1 of sobriety I wanted the house clear of any vodka or beer. We took out two garbage bags of empty, and 3/4 empty, pint bottles of Smirnoff above the cabinets in the laundry room where I would throw them so nobody would see them in the garbage.

28 days into my sobriety I am still finding half of the big bottles and several half to full pints in places I had no recollection of stashing to save. It’s amazing the things I can uncover with my sober idle mind wanting to keep busy with things like organizing closets, cabinets, and fixing things outside that have been neglected, because I was to lazy and fouled up to be productive.
XKazzX
Forums Newcomer

Return to Discussions