taking the first step

For recovery discussion

Re: taking the first step

Postby Theo50 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:24 pm

Thankfully bad advice can always be ignored.
Theo50
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:20 am

don't pick up that first drink

The big book goes way out of the way to illustrate how the mind of the alcoholic operates, just prior to the first drink. If an alcoholic does not realize he is alcoholic and further fails to grows spiritually, he/she has very little chance of overcoming the blank spots.

What sort of thinking dominates an alcoholic who repeats time after time the desperate experiment of the first drink? Friends who have reasoned with him after a spree which has brought him to the point of divorce or bankruptcy are mystified when he walks directly into a saloon. Why does he? Of what is he thinking?

Our first example is a friend we shall call Jim.

Jim is the guy who suddenly has thought that he could mix whiskey with milk and it wont hurt on a full stomach.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:26 am

I LOVE Jim! (page 35) :lol: :lol: I understand that his mind plays alcoholic tricks,
but seriously Dude... HOW MANY SANDWICHES CAN YA EAT?!?! :lol: :lol:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:58 pm

Hey they keep shrinking.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby philly25 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:50 pm

Welcome, ready, and thanks for the post. It sounds cheesy, but you may look back on this time period one day and think, "That's the day my life began to change."

I "got sober" in a rehab in 2011 and I'll always remember saying I was an alcoholic for the first time and it felt like a weight lifted off my shoulders. Early sobriety can be rough, it's rough for everybody, but it's so worth it.

I can only imagine what you feel like right now, but give yourself some credit - you asked for help, which is awesome.

Keep posting messages on here, go to meetings, etc. etc. AA is a great way of life.
philly25
Forums Newcomer

Previous

Return to Discussions