Racing thoughts

For recovery discussion

Racing thoughts

Postby Undrunkerd » Sat May 12, 2018 11:19 pm

Don't want to drink but I can't stop the committee in my head!
Undrunkerd
Forums Newcomer

Re: Racing thoughts

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun May 13, 2018 4:52 am

You are in the right place. The committee in the head diminishes when we start working the program of alcoholics anonymous. Usually its some situation that your ego wants to keep it alive. There could be various streams going on in the head. The inventory process is to look at each stream and find a solution for it. At times, its simply letting go and realize its worthless.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Greywolf » Sun May 13, 2018 10:34 am

Undrunkerd wrote:Don't want to drink but I can't stop the committee in my head!

In case a reader of this post has asked himself, "What committee is he talking about?" It's the one that asked "What committee is he talking about?" :roll:

Very good that you don't want to drink. Are you committed to not drinking? Have you made the decision to not drink today and willing to go to any lengths? Have you asked for help in staying away from drinking. I ask these questions because many of us have not wanted to drink and have in all innocence done so anyway.

Now about that committee, are you interacting with it? You know what I mean -- listening to the committee and answering back, engaging in conversation with the committee. I suggest thanking the committee for sharing and go on about your business. Some call this phenomenon talking to yourself. You can't stop the talking but you can stop the listening.

Would it help to know that alcoholics are not the only ones who have Radio San Juan playing in their heads? Every person I have had any conversation about this has his or her own committee or voice. Nothing unique here.
I don't care how much you know until I know how much you care.
Greywolf
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Sun May 13, 2018 2:05 pm

You are in the right place.

This was also my first thought.

Did you know that non-alcoholics don't have this problem? Well, not like we alkies do - we suffer from it to the extreme.
by Undrunkerd »
Don't want to drink but I can't stop the committee in my head!

Sounds like AA program language... you have been in the rooms before? Treatment maybe? Anyway, I have found it extremely helpful if I can just "set aside" my worries and hopes and fears for even just a few seconds. Maybe you could physically go out into the daylight and Stand in the Sunlight... Close you eyes & lift your face to the sky. Breathe in. Imagine the entire worldwide Fellowship of AA all standing in their yards doing the same thing. We Stand in the Light TOGETHER. You are not alone. You never have been - you just forgot for awhile.

Now, After you DO that. Come back in the house and get on the computer and go to this site
https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources

Then let your feet do the walking NO MATTER WHAT the Committee is saying. Set aside the Committee.
Get to a meeting.
The Set Aside Prayer:

"Dear God please help me to set aside everything I think I know about [people. place or thing] so I may have an open mind and a new experience. Please help me to see the truth about [people. place or thing]. AMEN." (This prayer comes from the Chapter to the Agnostic, primarily pages 47 and 48).
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun May 13, 2018 4:24 pm

[quote=]Don't want to drink but I can't stop the committee in my head![/quote]

On Friday at work something disturbed me greatly. Saturday morning, I could hear my head yelling at me and it wouldn't shut up. So I went to the AA hall. Standing in the parking lot, one of the guys said , "hi how are you." I said, " may I have a few minutes of your time to tell you the truth of how I am," Yes, then I dumped my resentment out. This si the beauty of the fellowship. If I need to talk to someone, I can easily find someone. I don't have to have it together all the time.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby Bovine Scat » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:07 pm

I am an alcoholic who is also bipolar. I am no medical doctor but I can tell my experience.

I never was diagnosed as bipolar until a few years of coming around AA. Needless to say I couldn't stay sober.

Maybe you should get some outside help. The book talks about it.

In my experience the combination of alcoholism and being bipolar can be deadly. It damn near killed me. There is nothing like a person who is full blown manic and has a bottle of whiskey in him. It's sheer craziness.

I need to work on both of my illnesses at the same time. If not, I know for a fact that I won't stay sober. Not treating both illnesses may lead me to the nearest high level bridge in a search for a solution.

Get yourself checked out. It won't hurt. But untreated mental illness can.
Too Much Sun Will Burn!!!
Bovine Scat
Forums Enthusiast

Postby beginningagain7 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:57 am

So you have a committee in your head.

For one since it is in your head you are the chair person of that committee. Which gives some choices to make. Either you can tell that committee that what they are saying is BS. And then proceed to remove those members that are giving it to you. You do have that authority. The problem is that some people do not realize that they have that authority or do not know how to do it.

A.A. has a 12 Step program that gives you suggestions how to use the authority in removing that committee or any other kinds of thought about drinking. All you have to do is to make the choice. Keep the committee or disband it through the suggested 12 Steps.

Now I am not what you can call a political correct person. For some reason I thought that I had good reason for drinking. One being I could like take life on life terms, plus a whole bunch of other reasons. The reality of my situation and probably some other people thinking that what I though were reasons were not true reasons, but simply excuses to use in why I drank. Oh why is life treating me like it is, most people will say that when things do not go their way. So they pick up a drink in believing that numbing what is bothering them will help them. But then when a new day arrives, they found out that the problem is still with them, plus it has gotten worse not better. That's what happened to me. Things never got better.

Then the day came the I got tired of being sick and tired, which I have heard others say. And did something about it. I reached out for help. Like a lot of members here have done. And what we have learned is that we can live life on life's terms, without drinking. For me I have found out that I did not have any reasons to drink, but I had a bunch of excuses. And once I realized that I was able to get a open mind about my drinking. I learned that my character deflects had a lot to do with why I had problems living life on life terms. Plus a lot more.

I wish that I could say that this program let me to having control of my life. But the reality is that I can not say that.

Step One: "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol---that our lives had become unmanageable." Oh, so there is the answer to stop drinking just admit that we are powerless over alcohol. A start but it only opens the door to recovery in a small way. For me I had to accept it just not admit it. Heck I would admit to my wife that I had been drinking, but did it help? No! It came to the point that admitting that I have a problem with alcohol isn't enough I had to accept it as a true fact in my life.

Step Two; "Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity." So that's the answer to stop drinking along with Step One. Sorry that's not the case it only opens the door a little be wider.

Step Three: "Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him." Now here we have the door half way open. It is here that we have made a decision that no we alone cannot control our life. That we now are going to let the God of our understanding take control and living life on life's terms and not ourselves for we have proven that we are not capable.

It is though Steps 4 thru 12 that the door will be completely open. All we have to do is walk through the door and get the recovery that we are wanting in our lives.

As for the committee thing in your mind, you have a choice. Take over the chair position and disband that committee. And then proceed forward in your life. You can join the committee of drunks that got together to give us a chance of sobriety, if we had the desire to quit drinking. The committee got it's start with Bill W., Dr. Bob and a third individual. And it lead from being a committee to a bunch of other drunks, that then formed into groups of people that wanted sobriety. And it then became A.A.

So all I can say is if you have a true desire to disband that committee in your head. Then decide to join a group of drunks that have been there and done that. And found a way to living life on life's terms and not on that committee in your head.

Have a good day,
Beginningagain4
John T.
beginningagain7
Trusted Servant

Postby Bovine Scat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:59 am

Do practice those 12 Steps. But racing thoughts (a committee in your head) can be an indication of mania. If you haven't drank in a good long while and you still have racing thoughts, get your self checked out.

The steps are not a substitute for "outside help" for those who truly need.
Too Much Sun Will Burn!!!
Bovine Scat
Forums Enthusiast

Postby DesignatedDriver » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:09 am

I remember an instance of this last summer. I was sitting in the departures lounge at Delhi airport waiting to fly back to the UK. I'd been sober about two months and was doing well, the cravings were not as strong or as often as they had been at the very start. The announcement came that my flight had been delayed by two hours. I could see a group of people sitting at the bar with beers watching cricket on the big screen and suddenly it all began in my head. I wanted to be over there doing what they were doing. I concocted every possible justification for it, most of them based on the idea that I "deserved" a drink and this went on for about ten minutes when my inner voice of reason interjected -

"Look, if you really want to go over there and have a beer, and you're sure that that's what you want to do, then you'd better go on ahead and do it because there's absolutely nothing I can do to stop you. But know this; if you make an excuse to have a drink now you'll be making excuses for the rest of your life. You are an alcoholic. You don't get a choice in that. But you do get to choose what sort of an alcoholic you want to be. You can be a drunk one or a sober one. Make your choice".

I never did go to the bar. I stood up, went for a walk, had a look at some of the aftershaves in duty free and generally tried to occupy my mind with other things. But to this day I'm a relieved man that my voice of reason won the argument that day because I was still in early sobriety and my life could still have gone either way.
DesignatedDriver
Forums Enthusiast

Postby tomsteve » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:41 am

i had that problem,too.
i fired the chairman and got a new chairman to take his place.

Undrunkerd wrote:Don't want to drink but I can't stop the committee in my head!
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:04 am

Alcoholics succumb the voice in the head. It takes a lot of beating before they want to give up booze for good. And then they have to work the program or some some other mean to stay vigilant. The obsession does go away once we get into the rhythm of recovery but it takes a right cognition of what they are up against otherwise the initial enthusiasm gives way to old way of thinking.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Return to Discussions