Does A.A. Have A Monopoly On "god/higher powers"?

For recovery discussion

Re: Does A.A. Have A Monopoly On "god/higher powers"?

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:54 am

Two aspects of the program I like about it is, no one is going to tell you that you are an alcoholic. People/book help others to arrive at their own conclusion and when it comes to the higher power, the big book talks about having your own conception of God however limited, if it makes sense to you, is good enough. I think most people balk because the first step is a vital step. Either they dont want to quit or they think they can do this on there own. Once they get past this phase, then there is this fear of sharing the baggage with others. What would others think of us!
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Tosh » Fri May 11, 2018 12:04 am

Bovine Scat wrote: some of us cannot not fully grasp the "higher power" concept. Since A.A. is not allied with any "religion, sect or denomination", I often tell those people to look for a higher power in the actions of people, places and things. That power is out there if a person just looks for it.

Language is a crude tool when it comes to stuff like this, but my take on it is that we don't have to grasp any concept.

The thing about concepts are that they're not real; a concept is an 'abstract idea' about something.

Take me for example:

My mum will have a concept of me (I'm still a 12 year old boy maybe?)
Mrs Tosh will have a concept of me (I'm a pain in the arse who thinks himself funny maybe?)
I have a concept of me (I'm a good looking bloke who is really funny)
My dog will have a concept of me (I'm like a god to him, maybe?)

So who is right?

None of us, including my own concept.

In some spiritual circles they call concepts 'truth concealers'. At a gross level, back in the days when I denied I was an alcoholic, that wasn't because I was lying, it was because I didn't fit my concept of what an alcoholic really was. I thought an alkie was someone who lived in a gutter shouting abuse at passing buses, and since I wasn't like that (yet), my concept of what an alcoholic was hid the truth from me that I was an alcoholic.

Idolatry isn't really about worshiping false statues, but more about 'worshiping' false concepts - of God or anything else - in our heads.

So, other than the universe (God is everything; quite literally), I've not got any real concept of God, but I have the 12 Steps and I have 'experiences with God' (language is such a clumsy tool; I'm no way inferring anything woo woo or barn burning white light experiences).
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Greywolf » Fri May 11, 2018 4:35 am

Most thought provoking comments on Higher Power I can recall.
Tosh wrote:
Language is a crude tool when it comes to stuff like this, but my take on it is that we don't have to grasp any concept.

The thing about concepts are that they're not real; a concept is an 'abstract idea' about something.

Take me for example:

My mum will have a concept of me (I'm still a 12 year old boy maybe?)
Mrs Tosh will have a concept of me (I'm a pain in the arse who thinks himself funny maybe?)
I have a concept of me (I'm a good looking bloke who is really funny)
My dog will have a concept of me (I'm like a god to him, maybe?)

So who is right?

None of us, including my own concept.

In some spiritual circles they call concepts 'truth concealers'. At a gross level, back in the days when I denied I was an alcoholic, that wasn't because I was lying, it was because I didn't fit my concept of what an alcoholic really was. I thought an alkie was someone who lived in a gutter shouting abuse at passing buses, and since I wasn't like that (yet), my concept of what an alcoholic was hid the truth from me that I was an alcoholic.

Idolatry isn't really about worshiping false statues, but more about 'worshiping' false concepts - of God or anything else - in our heads.

So, other than the universe (God is everything; quite literally), I've not got any real concept of God, but I have the 12 Steps and I have 'experiences with God' (language is such a clumsy tool; I'm no way inferring anything woo woo or barn burning white light experiences).
I don't care how much you know until I know how much you care.
Greywolf
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Discussions