Singleness of Purpose???

For recovery discussion

Re: Singleness of Purpose???

Postby Soberguy27 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:12 pm

The reality is that most people who are coming to AA now are also addicted to other drugs as well. We are in 2018 not 1939. That said I have no issue with the singleness of purpose. I think some would have a problem if someone was sharing at meeting level and going on about the drugs they used. To be honest I really don't like to hear drunkalogs either. We all know why we are in meetings. I think that being able to relate to others at meetings is why we have the singleness of purpose so that the message doesn't get distorted and the meeting doesn't lose focus. I never share about what I drank or how much or what drugs I used because it simply doesn't matter. What matters is how it made me feel and why I drank and used and how I use the program to stay sober and live life on life's terms. It's been a long time since I have heard a drunkalog or drugalog at a meeting and I attend both AA and NA but mostly AA.
Soberguy27
Forums Enthusiast

Postby D'oh » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:26 am

What matters is how it made me feel and why I drank and used and how I use the program to stay sober and live life on life's terms.

It is all about the "ISM" not the Alcohol.

Group Conscience might consider, Asking an Addict at a meeting to Leave, with a parting Gift from the Group of a 40 lb'er. And saying "Come back in a couple of months, when we can Help You."

The way I see it, "(if) Because a Higher Power is running the Show, the Addict showing up at a Meeting, has a purpose for being there." "I" might not have to Approve.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby tomsteve » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:47 am

This is a closed meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous. In
support of A.A.'s singleness of purpose, attendance at
closed meetings is limited to persons who have a desire
to stop drinking. If you think you have a problem with
alcohol, you are welcome to attend this meeting. We ask
that when discussing our problems, we confine ourselves
to those problems as they relate to alcoholism.

for myself, addiction is a problem relating to alcoholism. i never just did coke ,crack, acid,shrooms, or whatever drug i took. i was always drinking with em.

theres a couple stories in different editions of the bb that mention drugs. i think dr bobs even.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Soberguy27 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:41 pm

Singleness of purpose. I get it but the big book was written in 1939 and it is now 2018. Much has changed and so aa itself must also change with the changing times. Very few people ome to AA anymore as strictly alcoholics. Many are also addicted to pain meds and not always illegal drugs. Now I have been sober over 28 years and I can honestly say that maybe on a rare occasion have I heard someone share about their drug use whether it was cocane or any other drug. BTW, alcohol is a drug. I have never seen anyone leave a meeting because someone mentioned drugs in their share. Also I have never heard more than one person share about drugs at meetings.
Actually I rarely have heard people share about specific drugs at NA meetings. Open meetings should welcome all and at the meetings I attend they ask to keep our shares to the recovery from alcohol which is pretty much adheared to. The world is vastly different today than in 1939 and aa will have to relate to this new generation otherwise it may fall to wayside.
Soberguy27
Forums Enthusiast

Postby positrac » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:27 am

Nothing has changed with addiction as events that surround us have been altered by change. The BB is not a living document meant to be changed because others see fit to amend the first 165 pages. The stories in the rest of the book have been updated and they relate to our times.

The singleness of purpose is to have a place in society that can help all of us people who suffer from addictions and we can manage our recovery together. History of AA is important to keep as if we erase this blood, sweat and tears then the context of easier softer way won't be understood.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby tomsteve » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:37 am

Soberguy27 wrote:Singleness of purpose. I get it but the big book was written in 1939 and it is now 2018. Much has changed and so aa itself must also change with the changing times. .

hmmmm... theres NA, CA, HA,CMA,MA..........

must change- have you taken this to central office?
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:51 am

Younger generation is seeing this and are creating fellowship of their liking. They are all inclusive. One of the CA meetings a friend of mine formed has grown so much that they have to move to a bigger place. There are still people especially women who still drink bottles of wine, they never would have tried anything else. Because they started because the doctor said couple glasses of wine a day is good for their heart. I for instance except for a few rare occasions, pretty much stuck to alcohol. So for me singleness of purpose served me good. This see the similarities advice doesn't work with the new-comers. I don't think they comprehend what it really means.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:51 am

I was 23 years old when I came in and possibly my generation and understanding I didn't see the need to change things because it is not broken!
I might be and "old timer" in my sobriety and I can say with clarity is I am still sober because I have followed the prescribed ways that were made and published in 1939 and that is known world wide today in the 21st century.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:59 am

This all inclusive crap is lending to the easier softer way and this means personal failure because they the individuals have not felt the true pain of working the steps and keeping it on track.

Not sure how you interpret all inclusive to be easier softer way approach. When i mentioned all inclusive its about addiction. They do strictly follow the reminder of the steps. They use the statements hit or drink. Thats all. The solution part is common across all recovery.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:22 am

avaneesh912 wrote:
This all inclusive crap is lending to the easier softer way and this means personal failure because they the individuals have not felt the true pain of working the steps and keeping it on track.

Not sure how you interpret all inclusive to be easier softer way approach. When i mentioned all inclusive its about addiction. They do strictly follow the reminder of the steps. They use they statements hit or drink. Thats all. The solution part is common across all recovery.

I retracted that as I have heard and kind of seen how these younger people are trying to wrangle certain portions of the backbone fundamentals as the see fit and thus my thought earlier.

Thanks for the clarification.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:01 pm

Soberguy27 wrote: Much has changed and so aa itself must also change with the changing times.

Alcoholism hasn't changed.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Frihed89 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:41 am

No Bovine Scat wrote:Any thoughts on the concept of "Singleness of purpose?

In my mind, no one should ever be turned away from a A.A. meeting because of their drug of choice..

I agree with this for basically the same reasons and because I was never fond of rules. AA has no rules. It has hope.
Frihed89
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Greywolf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:22 pm

Frihed89 wrote:

In my mind, no one should ever be turned away from a A.A. meeting because of their drug of choice..

I agree with this for basically the same reasons and because I was never fond of rules. AA has no rules. It has hope.

With NA, and a whole alphabet of A's meetings available, I wonder about the motive of someone for whom alcohol is not their "drug of choice," to attend AA meetings.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking -- not being an alcoholic or even having a problem with drinking. If an NA or any other A has a desire to stop drinking to my knowledge there has never been any problem with "being turned away."

It's my experience that problems occur when the hidden agendas surface -- wanting to talk about their drug of choice or some other non-related topic and the singleness of purpose issue arises.
I don't care how much you know until I know how much you care.
Greywolf
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Frihed89 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:23 am

Greywolf wrote:
Frihed89 wrote:

With NA, and a whole alphabet of A's meetings available, I wonder about the motive of someone for whom alcohol is not their "drug of choice," to attend AA meetings.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking -- not being an alcoholic or even having a problem with drinking. If an NA or any other A has a desire to stop drinking to my knowledge there has never been any problem with "being turned away."

It's my experience that problems occur when the hidden agendas surface -- wanting to talk about their drug of choice or some other non-related topic and the singleness of purpose issue arises.

Yes, I think there is sometimes a degree of "contempt prior to investigation", based on rigidity, involved that leads to a lack of empathy. So, in my life, I have gravitated toward groups where there is more open-mindedness about who "qualifies" and strong beliefs in the basic principles of our fellowship.
Frihed89
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Discussions