Drunk mom

For recovery discussion

Drunk mom

Postby Drunkmom » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:33 am

Hi everyone this drunk mom first day sober, and can't even get out of bed. Need some advice on dealing with withdrawal symptoms. How long does it last?
Drunkmom
Forums Newcomer

Re: Drunk mom

Postby PaigeB » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:09 pm

It can last a bit. It can also come back. You really should see a Doctor. Withdrawals can actually kill you depending on how much you drank.

Otherwise - my experience is that I did not go to detox. I slept alot and I drank a lot of water to flush my system. I had to remember to EAT. I also went to meetings everyday, sometimes twice a day. But my doctor knew I was quitting. I think she gave me Cymbalta or something, but I only took it for a couple of weeks.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Shoreline » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:34 pm

Welcome! Try to drink a lot of water or gatorade. Search for alcohol withdrawal online and you can find a lot of different suggestions. You may want to seriously consider seeing a doctor or going to the ER if your symptoms get really bad.
Shoreline
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Camdennite » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:31 pm

Honey is a good remedy. Your body will crave sweet things.
It depends on how severe your drinking history is and how badly you have poisoned your body. Some people need to detoxify their bodies from alcohol in a medical setting. This alcoholism is a real medical disease, don't underestimate the seriousness of this disease.
Learn about AA. Go to AA meetings. You will get better, your life will get better, your loved ones will get better too.
I am an alcoholic too. I haven't found it necessary to pick up a drink since I went to my first AA meeting.
But, sometimes the cravings come back.......the 2nd step helps give me relief from the mental obsessions.
You will learn to live and love again.
Camdennite
Forums Newcomer

Postby D'oh » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:31 pm

You can do it Drunk Mom, just hang in there. It does get better. Keep coming back.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Drunkmom » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:15 am

Thank, for being soo supportive 48 hours were tough, I hope I don't get worse tomorrow, I m just scared. Plus I m scared how I will make it at a party this weekend without a drink.
Drunkmom
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:02 am

It won’t get worse, for myself and on sites I have seen describing the withdrawal, after three days it’s a lot better.

The idea of AA is of course to do the 12 steps, after which things like parties are fine, we feel comfortable anywhere we have a reason to be. Until then it is a struggle, if you must go to the party then go, but it’s best to have your own way home, or an understanding person who will leave when you want to. And since the way out is the steps, perhaps you will think about meetings, and hopefully find someone to take you through the necessary work.

I will put up some links which you might read when you have time, and please stay in touch here, ask any question or make any comment, we enjoy helping and it helps us as well.

Is A.A. For You – 12 Questions.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/is-aa-for ... can-answer

A Brief Guide To AA.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-42_abriefguidetoaa.pdf

Three Chapters From The Big Book-

1.The Doctors Opinion.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbo ... pinion.pdf

2.There Is A Solution.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt2.pdf

3.More About Alcoholism.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt3.pdf

A.A. Meeting Finder.
A.A. Near You.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:03 pm

Drunkmom wrote:Thank, for being soo supportive 48 hours were tough, I hope I don't get worse tomorrow, I m just scared. Plus I m scared how I will make it at a party this weekend without a drink.

You might want to skip that party this weekend... and for a few weekends... Alcohol is a cruel slave master and very cunning and powerful. If it were so easy to resist, we wouldn't need much help would we? I would just stop drinking and go on with my life right? Maybe, you know, drink only "socially" LMAO - But I KNOW I cannot drink safely AT ALL. I never know where I am gonna end up... might be home ok - might be in another city without my car and a broken cell phone. I usually end up dancing on a shaky table... like I am 20 again. Yeah... NO. my mind will ALWAYS get me drunk.

Try something different for a change. Go to an AA meeting instead of a party. These are just friends you haven't met yet. And there will not be any ugly old ladies like me dancing on the tables! :lol: :lol: :lol:
A.A. Near You? - You can bet on it!
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby tomsteve » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:05 pm

Drunkmom wrote:Thank, for being soo supportive 48 hours were tough, I hope I don't get worse tomorrow, I m just scared. Plus I m scared how I will make it at a party this weekend without a drink.

drunkmom, if youre serious about wanting sobriety, you will cancel on the party.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby 1Peter5:10 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:35 pm

My detoxes took 3-5 days.
Dehydration is the enemy, in severe cases I couldn't hold down water or gatorade & needed go to the ER.
1Peter5:10
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Brock » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:19 pm

1Peter5:10 wrote:My detoxes took 3-5 days.
Dehydration is the enemy, in severe cases I couldn't hold down water or gatorade & needed go to the ER.

This reminds me so much of myself, looking back and now seeing the foolishness of putting myself through detox many times. Sometimes just to keep my poor wife off my back for a few weeks, sort of show I was able to stop, other times to get and stay sober for the odd contract jobs I got from time to time. There are no awards for folks like us who are ‘experts’ at detox, if they were it would be like the old country song says, ‘a statue of a fool.’

There is no reason to put ourselves through this more than once, but unfortunately some of us do, instead of surrendering and doing the steps, and letting the good life begin.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby 1Peter5:10 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:28 am

Thanks Paige. It seems I suffer from the only disease that tells me I don't have it.

After a detox (I eventually learned to detox myself at home), I would feel "cured" and have a few drinks with dinner. Since through sheer white knuckle willpower nothing terrible happened that day, I 'naturally' figured "Well, having proven I'm not a real alcoholic . . . " and proceed to get drunk and stay in a perpetual state of drunk or near drunk.

I had to lose everything to hit bottom.
1Peter5:10
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Discussions