Shameless-TV Serial

For recovery discussion

Shameless-TV Serial

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:47 am

I hear its a showtime original now available on Netflix. Man what a picturization of an alcoholic. The protagonist in one for the segments say "Oh no, I like all of AA except the not drinking part" when he is trying to manipulate someone for his selfish deed.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: Shameless-TV Serial

Postby Rooster » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:24 am

I’ve only seen the American version but I think that his son “Lip” is more relatable than his father, who seemingly has no regard for anyone, whereas “Lip” is resentful towards himself and regrets his actions.
Rooster
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Brock » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:03 pm

I tried watching a bit of that on Netflix, it’s not the sort of show I can watch for very long, so didn’t see any reference to AA.

But I just watched the new show ‘Instinct,’ which I recorded last night, it’s pretty good. But here again we have the sister of the detective as an alcoholic, coming to stay with her, and they haven’t seen each other in a long while. She gets drunk and her sister uses some tough love, since as she says their mother was an alcoholic as well. The sister later apologizes and puts a chip on the table, and says she went to a meeting that morning, and has been going for the last ten months. But the reason she fell off the wagon was because she lost her job, anyway she promises to continue the meetings and stay sober.

Many would see nothing wrong with that. But I find almost every time AA is mentioned on TV or film, it’s made to look less effective than it is. Yes maybe some members would relapse after ten months, with a silly excuse like loss of a job, but that’s the exception rather than the rule. The average Joe watching that show, would think any hiccup in life has AA members going back to drink, and this simply is not true. After ten months a person should be so well grounded in the program that loss of job, pet, and mate, even all on the same day, would not have then thinking of a drink. As I say, it’s disappointing that the media doesn't do a better job, of depicting just how powerful our program is, and usually makes it appear a more temporary solution than it is.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:33 am

As I say, it’s disappointing that the media doesn't do a better job, of depicting just how powerful our program is, and usually makes it appear a more temporary solution than it is.

We are doing the same thing in the rooms Brock. We just keep telling them to keep coming back, instead of laying out the facts. Whats up with going to the newcomers meeting to keep the memory green? Truck load of crap. The book says we can't remember those miseries when the obsession takes over. Yet we keep hearing all these cliches.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby D'oh » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:23 am

As I say, it’s disappointing that the media doesn't do a better job, of depicting just how powerful our program is, and usually makes it appear a more temporary solution than it is.

We are doing the same thing in the rooms Brock. We just keep telling them to keep coming back, instead of laying out the facts. Whats up with going to the newcomers meeting to keep the memory green? Truck load of crap. The book says we can't remember those miseries when the obsession takes over. Yet we keep hearing all these cliches.

It us just a show. Just as Meetings can not Nail Newcomer's Shoes to the Club Room Floor. Even the Interweb, how does it affect Newcomers? I never knew "What the Program was" until I walked through the doors of my first F2F Meeting. I never had a luxury of "Google" to Snoop in the background and Prejudge AA's aspects.

If I believe my HP has the "Reins", then He even has the Reins of TV Shows, Forums, Mailings and all. That Portrayed illnesses like " Frank's" om Shameless, will offer more help than hindrance.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Return to Discussions