Fake It Till You Make It!

For recovery discussion

Fake It Till You Make It!

Postby FYI » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:37 am

This is a popular saying in AA rooms, but what does it mean?
FYI
Trusted Servant

Re: Fake It Till You Make It!

Postby PaigeB » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:48 pm

I think it means that we "Act our way into a new way of thinking."

My experience: Early on, I had an awful fight with my husband - I was still quite crazy and I knew it, but I could not stop wanting to fight. So I left. I feared I would drink. I knew there was an Anniversary dinner for our entire District, but I didn't even LIKE you people - and I did NOT want to run into anyone I knew. Well, it was either that or the bar. Despite what I wanted to do, I white knuckled it to the dinner. I marched up to the door and asked for service work as I had no money to get in. I spent the rest of the day, sort of happily, helping at the door to the dining room and with the PI display (poor woman, she was late setting up) and I helped reunite little children with their parents and helped people find the bathroom. About an hour through, I called my hubby to let him know I was safe & sober and at AA. But I spent hours & hours at that door... pain in my hips and back and no real desire to chit chat with anyone. I sat at that door at the back of the room for the dinner & the speaker and even had a piece of pie before I slipped quietly back into the fading daylight to go home.

I Learned: That you all loved me whether or not I loved you back... but I did love you even if I didn't want to. Also, that Service work would be a salvation for this drunk who really needed to ACT because I refused to pray. I found out that even IF I prayed, I still needed to ACT because that is the ONLY way I was able to teach my brain that my thinking was wacko and the AA way was the way to a New Freedom to ACT differently. Look at my early posts here and see that I always "all-caps" my word ACT. It works if you WORK it! On page 9 (really early!) Bill tells us about this "...practical program of ACTion... so Paige says, "Get busy or get drunk!"

My thinking will always get me drunk - principled ACTion will get me Peace.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby D'oh » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:51 pm

"Bring the Body, the Mind will follow."
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:56 am

Think they are talking about "concept of god". You fake that you know this power. But then working the 12 steps we start experiencing the power.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:51 pm

Looking back I think I did a fair amount of faking it till I made it. Mainly when I was feeling better after a few months of sobriety, only steps 1-3 done but thinking I won’t go back to the meetings, because I didn’t like most of the people there. I remembered this and pretended I liked them, and as fate and the AA program would have it, I ended up liking them very much.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby tomsteve » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:21 pm

FYI wrote:This is a popular saying in AA rooms, but what does it mean?

for me it meant what was going on internally refletcing in my actions.
i had low self esteem, but acted like i did until i did.
i didnt have confidence, but acted like i did until i did.
i didnt have optimism, but acted like i did until i did.

basically, i acted like the person i wanted to be until i was the person i wanted to be.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby PaigeB » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:24 pm

GOOD ORDERLY DIRECTION
It is when we try to make our will conform with God’s that we begin to use it rightly. To all of us, this was a most wonderful revelation. Our whole trouble had been the misuse of willpower.
We had tried to bombard our problems with it instead of attempting to bring it into agreement with God’s intention for us.
To make this increasingly possible is the purpose of A.A.’s Twelve Steps, and Step Three opens the door.

TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 40
Mar. 11
From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Camdennite » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:06 am

I love this slogan, FAKE IT TIL YOU MAKE IT.
We can't simply think our way into right living. We need to ACT our way into right living.
AA is a program of action. Another slogan similar to this is ACT AS If........start helping and start putting my gratitude into action.
There's plenty to do in and around AA. If you don't know what to do simply Keep coming back and ask.
Camdennite
Forums Newcomer

Postby positrac » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:05 am

My way didn't work and AA's way does work and until it is natural I had to fake it until I made it work. Life in general has been fake it until I make it and why should AA be any different!
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby Spirit Flower » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:27 pm

When I first came in, I didn't have a higher power; so I faked it. I stayed sober.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby Faith71 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:57 pm

I think it means, act as if. Maybe being an alcoholic you want to be sober. Then act as if you are sober. I have heard this many times when I did my own business in network marketing before I quit.

So, maybe fake being sober and your actions will follow.
Faith71
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:03 pm

Welcome here Faith71.

I didn’t know this term was also used in business, I thought it was an AA ‘invention,’ thanks.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby No Bovine Scat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:00 pm

It's all about changing your thinking and changing your reactions to things you can't control.
No Bovine Scat
Forums Enthusiast

Postby JungianRecovery » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:21 am

God accepts counterfeit currency.
JungianRecovery
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Greywolf » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:36 am

FYI wrote:This is a popular saying in AA rooms, but what does it mean?

IMO it means whatever the person saying it intends for it to mean. When it gets said or quoted, why not ask, "What do you mean by that quote?"

A better question might be, "What does it mean to you/me when you/I hear it?"

"Fake It 'til You Make It!" What do I hear? A cute saying without much substance and not much about practicing these principles in all our affairs.
I don't care how much you know until I know how much you care.
Greywolf
Forums Enthusiast

Next

Return to Discussions