Meeting Quirks

For recovery discussion

Meeting Quirks

Postby kaosxtech » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:06 am

I was curious what some interesting things that happen at meetings around the world.

I live in a part of southern California and heard that these were some different things we do at our meetings:

We clap when someone is done with a reading (like the 12 steps or the 12 traditions or chapter 5)
After the part in the promises after "are these extreme promises" everyone says "WE THINK NOT"
When the 12th tradition gets read everyone says "PRINCIPLES BEFORE PERSONALITIES"
At the end when we are in the circle after we say a prayer we all then say "Keep Coming back it works if you work it!"

Ok so I have heard the complaints about chanting and all that stuff. Doesnt change the fact that some groups do it. I am hoping people wont make fun of the weird things that my area in southern California does. This thread was more just a fun thread to see how each group has little quirks.
Selfishness—self-centeredness! That, we think, is the root of our troubles. (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 62)
kaosxtech
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Meeting Quirks

Postby positrac » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:30 am

I got sober in Socal and what you posted is what I remember.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby tomsteve » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:45 am

i wouldnt call what ya'll do there weird- theres meetings in metro detroit that do similar,too.
then theres the meeting that opens with the serenity prayer, preamble, then into the step study.
then theres the meeting with 15 minutes of readings followed by 10 minutes of announcements.

i think the biggest meeting quirk i see is a group of people that wouldnt get along if they were drinking come together to stay sober and help others achieve sobriety. thats just strange! :)
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:52 am

I live in the West Indies, and the meetings aren’t much different than those described for California. The meetings are generally small, and an advantage of that is it’s easy to see when attendance goes down. One meeting started reading how it works and people started staying away, so they asked why and we told them, they no longer read that and numbers are back up.

As tomsteve said - “then theres the meeting with 15 minutes of readings followed by 10 minutes of announcements.” Right there 25 minutes of meeting time gone. We don’t like that here, because we know 'how it works' by heart, and anyone who doesn't won’t learn much, since the members who read these things aren’t professional readers, and just read in a monotone voice. If you look around when these things are being read there is not much interest, mainly blank faces and cellphone checking.

Tomsteve said -
i think the biggest meeting quirk i see is a group of people that wouldnt get along if they were drinking come together to stay sober and help others achieve sobriety. thats just strange!

Well said.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:36 pm

We clap when someone is done with a reading (like the 12 steps or the 12 traditions or chapter 5)
We do too, if they read from the podium. If read at regular meetings we just say, "thanks Joe" or whoever.
After the part in the promises after "are these extreme promises" everyone says "WE THINK NOT"
We have a gal from SoCal and she says it - she is such a gem! And the Young People's meeting says it too.
When the 12th Tradition gets read everyone says "PRINCIPLES BEFORE PERSONALITIES"
Most chime in, some don't.
At the end when we are in the circle after we say a prayer we all then say "Keep Coming back it works if you work it!" Yep - We do that too!

Add one - When they say "Who you see here what you hear here, let it stay here"... We say "Hear! Hear!"

And we sorta started a new one at my Home Group - when the announcements are read and they say "cake" We all burst out with "CAKE!" If they say "pie" we say "Slice it!" Some other groups and people are doing it now too, LOL. :lol:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lunalele » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:21 pm

kaosxtech wrote:We clap when someone is done with a reading (like the 12 steps or the 12 traditions or chapter 5)
When the 12th tradition gets read everyone says "PRINCIPLES BEFORE PERSONALITIES"
At the end when we are in the circle after we say a prayer we all then say "Keep Coming back it works if you work it!"

No clapping, but we do the same in Western Wisconsin.

I've been to meetings where people stomp when "trudge the road of happy destiny" is read. Another is when "The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed." is read, people would pretend to smash something on the ground with their feet.
Lunalele
Forums Newcomer

Return to Discussions