My timeline in early recovery. I hope this helps someone.

For recovery discussion

My timeline in early recovery. I hope this helps someone.

Postby 1Peter5:10 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:26 am

I was a low-low bottom drunk. Evicted from my room in a flophouse. No where to live but a treatment center or my car. No source if income except food stamps and selling my plasma.

I don't know how long I was addicted to alcohol. I had been a recreational drinker off and on, with plenty of warning signs, for decades, and my drinking impaired my work and home life for at least 4 years.

When I finally reached rock bottom, I spent 103 days in a (normally) 28-day in patient treatment program, which I had entered determined that I was the type of alcoholic who, one day, could return to drinking successsfully.

Unlike people who suffer from comparatively brief, intense 2-5 year battles with hard drugs, decade upon decade of alcohol abuse m/l permanently alters brain chemistry in ways that, I believe, briefer faster addictions to hard drugs do not. (JMHO)

the following timeline describes my timeline in recovery 2016-2017.

- After approx 45 days, (still an in-patient), I finally realized that I am a real alcoholic.

- After approx. 80 days, TOTAL SURRENDER.

I not only knew I am an alcoholic, I knew that neither I, nor doctors, nor psychologists, nor treatment centers can fix me. MOREOVER it was not for me to make requests if God.

I stopped praying for sobriety, for an end to my obsession cravings, for my family, for myself etc., and in a heartfelt manner told God "If it is your will that I die as a suffering drunken shell of a man, living on the streets of Pompano, then I don't pretend to understand it, but your will be done"

- My major cravings were lifted a few days later.

-104 days after my last drink, I began working a humble job in a supermarket, and accepted my sponsor's advice that the only way ge knows is how he did it, and when he he did it he worked a humble job and made no major life changes for a year. (Was I REALLY going to try it 'my own way'? AGAIN?)

- Around day 170-180 since my last drink, (in my case, approaching 3 MONTHS OUT OF TREATMENT), I noticed I was thinking, feeling and behaving more rationally than I had. I had crossed some mental/emotional threshold that I see in others, usually sooner.

- Approx 8 mos since my last drink, others began to notice it as well. People in early, early sobriety, or early attempted sobriety began to ask me questions they had not asked before.

I was in some "sweet spot" of usefulness to others.

- ONE YEAR after my last drink, still working a humble job, finances stopped worrying me. I was poor, but on some deeper level, I knew, I really realky knew, that I'll almost definitely get some money back in my life, but if or when kind of stopped mattering. If it was my fate to live like a teeanage surf boarder then I could do that too.

- 17-18 months after my last drink I returned to my old neighborhood. Financially it has been a big move backwards. For many recovering low-low-bottom soup kitchen and live-in-your-car drunks like myself, the 12-18 month mark is when it 'becomes okay' to start focusing on financial advancement.

For me, for reasons relating to my Steps 7-8-9, it has been necessary instead to move to a place where poor people generally stay poor and frequently become poorer. But its time for me to stop doing what is right for me and start doing what is right.

God willing, financial recovery will come later. I have to do these (other) things now. It's no longer about me and my comforts.
May God bless you as He has blessed me.
I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers.
Forums Enthusiast

Re: My timeline in early recovery. I hope this helps someon

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:00 am

Thanks for sharing. We all have to hit the fork as the book states it. Either we take simple kit of spiritual tool or live in misery. I am glad we all made it into the rooms. So many dont even receive the message and most turn other way hearing about AA. Very few that come in and pick up the kit, do survive.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
Trusted Servant

Re: My timeline in early recovery. I hope this helps someon

Postby 1Peter5:10 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:26 am

Thank you Avanshee.

As I reached that 8-month "sweet spot" alcoholics, (mostly low bottoms) in very early recovery would frequently ask me questions about my timeline.

They often wanted to know when their major cravings would end, when the should seek menial employment, how long should they expect to stay at a menial jobs, etc..

I felt helpful to explain "it was different for me because I spent my first 103 days in treatment."

It really does work differently for different people.

I wish I could say "just subtract 103 days, or 60 days" from my timeline, and that's how it will work for you," but we are all different.
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Discussions