The Miracle of the Program

For recovery discussion

The Miracle of the Program

Postby Timothy3012 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:47 am

Big Book - Page 11

''Like myself, [my friend] had admitted complete defeat. Then he had, in effect, been raised from the dead, suddenly taken from the scrap heap to a level of life better than he had ever known! Had this power originated in him? Obviously it had not. There had been no more power in him than there was in me at that minute; and this was none at all.

That floored me. It began to look as though religious people were right after all. Here was something at work in a human heart which had done this impossible. My ideas about miracles were drastically revised right then. Never mind the musty past; here sat a miracle directly across the kitchen table.''

I can't deny the incredible effect Alcoholics Anonymous and the 12 steps have had on my life. The fact that I can sit here right now with a very 'unwell' feeling head - full of restlessness, irritability and discontent - and that I can still be sober and not even near to a drink...this fact is a miracle.

The reality that this program does work even when I feel like S***, and that God continues to keep me sober even when I feel this way...that is a miracle. At this moment, the program is doing exactly what it was designed to do - to keep a hopeless drunk sober despite himself and his own twisted thinking.

The definition of a miracles is simply this;

''an extraordinary and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore attributed to a divine agency.

or...

a remarkable event or development that brings very welcome consequences.''

What a remarkable and unexplainable thing it is that I sit here sober today. Thank God for AA and for His grace in giving such a powerful intervention to the drunks of this world. What a desperately needed and welcome intervention it is!
Timothy3012
Forums Enthusiast

Re: The Miracle of the Program

Postby Spirit Flower » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:31 am

I can't deny the incredible effect Alcoholics Anonymous and the 12 steps have had on my life.

So I am 59 years old. I have been sober in AA since I was 26. Thats what I call "an incredible effect on my life." I LOVE that I've had a sober life. So grateful I was spared the decades of misery I watched my mother go through.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Re: The Miracle of the Program

Postby Tosh » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:07 pm

Timothy3012 wrote:The fact that I can sit here right now with a very 'unwell' feeling head - full of restlessness, irritability and discontent - and that I can still be sober and not even near to a drink...this fact is a miracle.

It's also a huge marker for spiritual growth.

Well done, Timothy.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Return to Discussions