Peer Pressure.

For recovery discussion

Peer Pressure.

Postby Brock » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:42 pm

Where I live there is an annual Carnival, which is this Monday and Tuesday, basically two days of half naked people dancing in the streets. Many foreigners come and the hotels are full, I used to enjoy it, but without lots of booze I can’t, so I stay away.

The problem each year is to convince newer members of AA, that’s it’s something they should also stay away from. I point out that the beaches are popular on those days, and many people go to nearby islands on holiday over the period, I try to show that many more people stay away from Carnival than go. But it hardly works, it all comes down to “all my friends do it, what will they think of me if I don’t,” and unfortunately each year some will have a ‘slip.’

Carnival or not, I believe peer pressure, the need to still ‘look cool’ to your ‘friends,’ is the downfall of many newcomers, regardless of what part of the world we live in.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Re: Peer Pressure.

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:55 pm

Yeah, hear you. We tell them work the steps and get connected and then you could go and see the half naked people or even get naked, all you want. You don't have to drink to do that. They can experience the 10th step promises as long as they are spiritually fit.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Blue Moon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:27 am

IMO it's just an excuse. If all your peers decided to do something Really Stupid, would you be so keen to follow in their wake? For an alcoholic, walking into a drinking situation with no defense mechanism is like going parachuting without a rip-cord... Really Stupid.

Perhaps one part of the problem is that we live in more and more of an "instant gratitude" or "quick fix" culture. There is no pill for recovery; there's nothing instant or quick here.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby PaigeB » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Ohhhh - Appeal to their pride! Tell them that "Carnival is for amateurs!" I guess I never internally realized how idiotic super drunk people are until I got to see them in action. Of course, it didn't work in those early days of Desperation ~ then all I saw was "Who left this perfectly cold and completely full beer here? OMG - what is wrong with you people!?" Yup - I still did not know that, as an alcoholic, I think about booze Differently.

But I had a thought as I began to write and I will share it with you... Why not plan a Step Retreat at a church or business lodge away from the city? It would be a good way to press this year's newbies into service. You could just get a hotel and some note pads and Big Books and start the planning of next year's RETREAT(!) from the "hot flame" the 10th Step talks about!

The Hot Flame Retreat! It might even get too big to handle all the sober drunks that want to get away! :lol: :idea: :arrow:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:33 am

I have no control over anything as I am reminded all the time and so my policing only adds to resentments between my ears. When we want something more than others it is hard to accept and this is for anything in life. You've experienced the fun, chaos, topless women and so it is an easy trap to get bogged down in because the smells of alcohol, weed can really ignite temptation and weak ones will slip instead of leaving for higher ground so to speak. There but for the grace of God go I.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Return to Discussions