Four week milestone gratitude!

For recovery discussion

Four week milestone gratitude!

Postby escultore » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:30 pm

Hey all,

This day exactly four weeks ago, I had my last drunk. So grateful for AA, all you guys here, and for the amazing improvements in my life in that short time.

This Higher Power thing is powerful. The steps, the program...it just works. Looking forward to working it more!

Thanks to all of you for all the posts you’ve made. I’ve read through most of them, and they’re a huge source of inspiration.

Andy
escultore
Forums Newcomer

Re: Four week milestone gratitude!

Postby Brock » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:44 pm

escultore wrote:This Higher Power thing is powerful. The steps, the program...it just works. Looking forward to working it more!

Well done Andy.

To have someone at four weeks saying words like that puts a smile on this old face, I wish all newcomers could recognize where the power to conquer this disease lies as quickly as you have. I think your words will inspire others reading these forums, thanks for being here.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:22 am

Looking forward to working it more!

It works IF you work it!

Sorry to rain on your parade a bit, LOL, but there will be cloudy days. I am ever grateful that is program is "A design for living that works in rough going"! I haven't found it necessary to take a drink in many 24's.

Keep coming back!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:04 am

Well done, Andy, and thanks for coming on here and sharing this wonderful encouragement for newcomers.
Yes, it does work.
:D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby escultore » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:12 pm

PaigeB wrote:
Looking forward to working it more!

It works IF you work it!

Sorry to rain on your parade a bit, LOL, but there will be cloudy days. I am ever grateful that is program is "A design for living that works in rough going"! I haven't found it necessary to take a drink in many 24's.

Keep coming back!

Haha, thanks Paige! I’m seeing that - after writing this yesterday, I did have a pretty low day. But I got to a meeting, and I worked through it. I’m having to watch this complacency thing :oops:

Thanks for all the love, you lovely people!
escultore
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:27 pm

Hahahaaa - :D :lol: :wink:

There will be many opportunities to watch complacency in action and get through that too. Keep coming back!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:37 pm

Hello Andy and Welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. Good job, now ride that pink cloud for as long as you can my friend.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby tblue818 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:18 pm

Hi, All ~

Was going through files looking for something else and came upon the post below. I didn't experience a 'pink cloud' because something happened at six weeks' sober that kept me scared for over a year. However, if I had had 'pink cloud' experience, I can easily see how the thinking of this AAer could have been mine. :?

Robert here, alcoholic. I like what you had to say AZbill. For me, I kept getting warned about the "pink cloud" I was on and couldn't figure out why they were all trying to put a bad light on what seemed like a good thing. And it WAS a good thing! Just like AZbill described, I felt great - like the whole weight of the world had finally been lifted from me. But just like every good thing this alcoholic does, it wasn't enough.

When that good feeling started to dissipate or, more likely, just started to become the norm. I wanted more! I found myself having urges to find a way to keep it going, ANYWAY I could. When that happened, I was grateful for the warnings for they helped me to realize that what I was feeling was normal. I was able to get through the experience and to go on to experience other wonderful feelings too; some of them during the hardest times of my sobriety.

If it wasn't for the warnings, I might've picked up a drink out of frustration, fear, or to get back that high anyway I could. **I know, it sounds crazy, drinking to keep a sober high, but that's the depth of my insanity with the disease.** Like AZbill said, enjoy the highs, but accept them for what they are and if we're lucky, one day we can just enjoy being in the middle. - Robert H. 4/16/2003
((Emphasis mine))
Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved.

"Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got."
tblue818
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Brock » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:35 am

Like AZbill said, enjoy the highs, but accept them for what they are and if we're lucky, one day we can just enjoy being in the middle. - Robert H.

I like that, it reminds me of a quote which thanks to Google I see is from someone called John Wooden, and also another saying popular in AA writing -
John Wooden – All of life is peaks and valleys. Don’t let the peaks get too high and the valleys too low.

AA - The peaks and valleys of my life have become gentle rolling hills.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Return to Discussions