There But For The Grace….

For recovery discussion

There But For The Grace….

Postby Brock » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:00 am

For the last twenty or so years of my drinking I had one preferred bar, another customer Ron, who had a plumbing business, became one of the group of ‘drinking friends.’

He did attend a few AA meetings, and would come and go just like I did, I finally accepted the solution but he never would. Then someone told me he lost his business and was living on a beach not far from my home, I saw him but he was not interested in what I had to say, so I slipped him a few dollars, reminded him of my phone number and wished him well.

He was found dead under an overturned boat on the beach, I didn’t grieve because the poor fellow was suffering. I expect I am not the only one who on hearing news like this thought, ‘there but for the grace of God go I.’

We must never underestimate alcoholism, it’s a killer.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Re: There But For The Grace….

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:59 am

We must never underestimate alcoholism, it’s a killer.

Unfortunately the individual in this case your friend need to awaken to the fact. I too had the opportunity to 12 step my brother-in-law, like your friend, he too scoffed at the AA idea. Two days prior to his death, fear crept into him and was crying to his daughter asking for help, but the organs had already started to shut off. The issue with the fellowship is different. We have many hard drinkers who don't have the experience and failed to see the fatal nature of the disease. Hence you hear all sorts of goofy slogans, its not a race.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: There But For The Grace….

Postby PaigeB » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:58 am

I am sorry for your loss Brock. I am sorry for all of us too. I feel that each drunk that dies out there takes a piece of us with them. I now send a soothing piece of my soul to your friend today. I will not forget Ron. Peace.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Return to Discussions