Walking out of a meeting

For recovery discussion

Re: Walking out of a meeting

Postby tomsteve » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:11 pm

service,
can i have the pedastal ,please!! =biggrin

who gives a rats ass if sponsorhsip isnt in the big book.
sponsorship has helped millions of drunks worldwide not have to struggle learning how the program works.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Service wrote: Where in the 164 pages of the big book is the word sponsor? please give page number and word not opinion or excuse ?

The word “sponsor” is not there, but they refer to working one on one with another alcoholic in very many areas, especially in the chapter ‘Working With Others,” here are a few examples -
PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics… (Intensive work is sponsorship). Show him, from your own experience, how the queer mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power…. It is important for him to realize that your attempt to pass this on to him plays a vital part in your own recovery...(A sponsor says the same thing). The more hopeless he feels, the better. He will be more likely to follow your suggestions….(Sponsors give suggestions). Offer him friendship and fellowship. Tell him that if he wants to get well you will do anything to help… (Just like a sponsor).Never avoid these responsibilities, but be sure you are doing the right thing if you assume them. Helping others is the foundation stone of your recovery.

So let’s not let the fact that because a certain word was not used, it doesn't mean they were not recommending one on one work, which is exactly what sponsorship is meant to be.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Service » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:56 pm

Upon careful reading it's best to read the big book in the first person rather than religiously to another !!
I hear what your saying now all you have to do is believe it, The outside sponsorship system was designed to help an alcoholic "achieve sobriety" are you saying you all the people you work on inside alcoholics anonymous has not achieved sobriety ? Is it not an inside job ? that probably no human power will relive you ?

Save the pulpits for administers who think they have something others don't that are already here !! Upon careful reading it's best to read the big book in the first person rather than religiously onto another !! personal willingness to seek God is a good start here in A.A rather than another co dependency
Service
Forums Contributor

Postby Jojo2 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:00 am

Brock wrote:Hello ‘Service.’

No moderator here has said a thing against your recent posts, if you attack those here who give of their time so all might enjoy a fruitful discussion, or verbally attack anyone else who posts here, your posting privileges may be negatively affected.

Hello Service

You may have missed this gentle reminder from yesterday.

Verbal attacks on others, baiting and inflammatory statements are not acceptable and will not be tolerated.

Please note the above as fair warning for future reference.

Forum Guidelines may be found here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23995
Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Postby Blue Moon » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:41 am

Service wrote: it's best to read the big book in the first person rather than religiously to another !!

Erm ..... sorry, but you're the one who asked tor a quote!

FWIW, I think the problem here is not about sponsorship per se, but about where or when it begins and ends.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby D'oh » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:20 pm

A Sponsor, in the early years was most likely, the person doing the 12th step, and bringing the Newcomer to their first Meeting. How else would anyone know where and when the Meetings were? And Anonymity of the small fragile Anonymous Membership.

Think about it, No Hotline, No Schedule in Lobby's and Newspapers, No GSO.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby kaosxtech » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:52 pm

Just keep coming back! It took me 5 months before I decided that maybe the steps had something to offer and then it took 7 more months before I decided if I honestly wanted to work the steps I should maybe get a sponsor to help me. When you work the steps and get a sponsor (and thats just a suggestion) you begin to find life has an easier softer way. After step 9 is completed there are all sorts of promises that should happen to you. Just attending the meeting you may miss those great promises.
Selfishness—self-centeredness! That, we think, is the root of our troubles. (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 62)
kaosxtech
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Soberguy27 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:03 pm

I remember feeling that way in the beginning. Luckily I somehow stayed and diodn't leave. What made me uncomfortable was not knowing what people were talking about and feeling totally out of the loop. I realized that some of the meetings I was going to I was only going because I liked hearing the stories and that I could tell myself that I wasn't like them. It wasn't until I got a sponsor, started working the steps that I began to realize that there was much more to aa than just meetings. That was over 28 years ago and I am still sober and drug free. Give aa a real try. Get a sponsor, a big book, a 12x12 and take the journey of sobriety that so many before you have taken.
Not working the program is just going to meetings. You may be sober but for me the quality of my sobriety is what counts. It's easier to stay sober than it is to get sober. I could come up with all kinds of excuses why not to work the steps. Hell, I'm an atheist and the steps still worked for me and still work today and I am still an atheist.
Soberguy27
Forums Enthusiast

Postby No Bovine Scat » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:17 pm

"But I guess it does leave a lingering sense of frustration. Does anybody else have any experience of walking out of a meeting? And what were your feelings about it afterwards?"

There has been numerous times I have walked of meetings early. The reasons are usually that there might be one person there bloviating . Or the lead is still telling how he was getting drunk at 16 forty-five minutes into his lead.

I would suggest going to different Big Book meetings. It will be the same program at whichever meeting you attend but people do make the meetings. Some meetings are better than others. I go to some meetings every week. There are others I try to avoid certain meetings unless I know the lead will be good and beneficial to me.
No Bovine Scat
Forums Enthusiast

Postby BrendaChenowyth » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:13 pm

This title caught my eye because I was in a meeting tonight (my second today) that I thought was going to be a step four meeting because it's April. It was on step 2. Still stayed cause it's a great topic. Some of the gentlemen from the halfway house had some nice insights.

Someone walked out early. His girlfriend was with him, he looked bored, she was sort of enticing him to go, and so they skipped toomaloo, whatever. They didn't want to be there, and I can pretend I get that..

To be honest, I do, I went to tons of meetings in the past and I didn't think they were for me.

They're ALL for me because I'm an alcoholic, and I believe in the program.

It's not all about me.

I could be someone's last hope just by sharing what I happen to be going through at the moment.
BrendaChenowyth
Forums Enthusiast

Postby JungianRecovery » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:19 am

A mentor of mine has a good take on the "meeting makers make it" slogan. His interpretation is "meeting makers make the meetings what they are."

Meeting makers don't go to a meeting expecting the meeting to help them; they go there expecting themselves to help the meeting.

This has been incredibly useful when sitting in meetings that i'm not feeling.
JungianRecovery
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Discussions