BEWARE of Newton, MA meetings at the shack

For recovery discussion

BEWARE of Newton, MA meetings at the shack

Postby step0 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:59 pm

I am a new member of alcoholic anonymous, and struggle with an issue, and would like input.
There is a man who has said to have sobreity, he is stealing money from meetings repeatedly, preying on new comers, hitting up his sponsees for money, and stalking vulnerable women in the program.
He is egotistical, and is incapable of feeling shame for his actions.
I have watched this behavior, and spoken to other old timers that know of his admitted behavior, and they pass it off as no big deal,... this scares me for newcomers.
I know that he has a cyclical pattern of acting out, hiding, and then returning to the scene of the same meetings wanting sympathy for his "addiction",
He THEN preys on a new group of vulnerable people trying to get sober.
He is a white male, 5'10" slim build, glasses, bad skin, no teeth

Please beware.

How can this man be stopped?
step0
Forums Newcomer

Re: BEWARE of Newton, MA meetings at the shack

Postby PaigeB » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:14 pm

Go to your District or Area Officers. http://www.aaboston.org/
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Welcome here stepO, love the name but hope you will be able to say step 0 – 12 in the not too distant future, those steps are where the solution lies.

I admire those who care about what other newcomers are exposed to, and can only think the oldtimers are brushing it off because there is little or nothing that can be done. We have been getting a fair amount of complaints about people in AA meetings, these are two recent threads on this matter -
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=24350
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=24353

Our traditions protect members who don’t conform to the behavior we think is right and decent, especially #3, so really apart from warning new members about him there is little else you can do.

Don’t want to make light of a situation, but at least with his bad skin and no teeth he won’t have much luck ‘hitting’ on lady newcomers. Hopefully someone may be along with a better answer, but keep us in mind if you have any other questions or comments, there is good sobriety on these forums, all the best.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby step0 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:22 pm

Another brave member did reach out to the central office in Boston, and they were told its a group member issue. I agree, but when reaching out to other members they have either stopped going to meetings all together, gone to meetings in other towns, or I was told to move on,... its not right. I can't organize and attend group conscious meetings by myself.
step0
Forums Newcomer

Postby Roberth » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:18 pm

Members are becoming more and more aware of predators. Sad to say this but as long as there are fish in the pond there is not much you can do about them fishing unless they do something illegal. What can be done is protect the new comers. Have your GSR bring it up in your district meetings and area assemblies do find out how others groups handle their predators. There has been a lot of discussion about predators in our Area and at the Conference level. I am sure you will get plenty of input. You also may want to bring it up at your business meeting and see if group wants to put together a new-comer package with a page about predators in general included. There is always something they use to do and that is talk to the new-comer. I think the old-timers use to called it 12 step work.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby positrac » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:59 am

I lived by this term and it goes like this: Praise in public and Chastise in private.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Return to Discussions