Discussing DWI details

For recovery discussion

Discussing DWI details

Postby keith-d » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:30 pm

I recently returned to AA after about 3 years after recently getting a DWI (only one). I am really scared as to what is going to happen. I have never had so much as a speeding ticket, and now have to deal with this. I keep getting different stories from people saying this is going to happen, or this is going to happen and blah blah blah. None of these people are lawyers, just others in AA who had DWIs. I left a meeting this morning shaking, nervous, and filled with anxiety. I had about 15 other charges to go along with it. One said today that I was probably going to do jail time because of the circumstances, leaving the scene of an accident (ripped mirror off my truck) and the fact that I blew 3 times the limit. I have no recollection of what happened that night. I had been sober for 2.5 years and for whatever reason went back out. I had been talking to people in AA, And working with my Dr. for the past several weeks to wean myself off, then this happened. I am really scared and don't know what to do
keith-d
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Discussing DWI details

Postby Layne » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Don't worry about the future, it is not here. The future will happen on it's own time and independent from whether we worry about it or not. Focus on the present because what you do right here, right now, will have an effect upon your future. Worrying about the future diverts your attention and efforts away from where they can have their greatest impact, the present moment.

I went back out after 5 years of AA. Hindsight has shown me, that during that 5 year period, I didn't completely and honestly work the twelve steps. I now have 14 years of recovery since completely and honestly working the twelve steps. The difference is night and day, and I feel on very solid ground. The promises have come true and my serenity continues to increase.

I have worried about many things in my life, the vast majority of which didn't happen. Fearful things that do happen, I met head on and walk through them thanks to the twelve steps. For me the best path is through, not around, not over, not under, nor running away from. It makes for a much more peaceful present, which manifests itself later, in a more promising future.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby keith-d » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:27 pm

Thank you so much Layne. I have been talking to others and they all say the same thing, you don't know what is going happen and just worry about staying sober. I called a friend in the program to talk to him about it. He said keep the details about what happened to yourself, it doesn't matter. I said to him that I am in so much trouble, and he said I am in better shape than I realize. I didn't understand. He went on to explain that he has known me for years and knows I am not one to call people and ask for help, quite the eye opener, because he is right. I would never call anyone let alone on Christmas Day. I feel like I have made more progress in these last 5 days in AA than I did in the 2.5 years I was in before. I now know I have to do the steps completely or I will fail again. I am in legal trouble, no job, could lose my truck any day, but feel like everything is going to be all right. Thank you again for the advice.
keith-d
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Layne » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:55 pm

I am in legal trouble, no job, could lose my truck any day, but feel like everything is going to be all right.

One of the greatest gifts of recovery to me is knowing that things are going to be alright...even when things are not alright! :~)
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:55 am

Miracles happen when we surrender and start applying the principles of the 12 steps in all our affairs. HP/GOD works in a mysterious way, one good recent example was Louis at the correction facility. He was serving 10 years without parole, we will AA just gave pushed him in the right direction. A church member who was at the facility couple of years ago for Christmas feast saw his transformation and pushed the papers through and had his sentence commuted by 2 years. Keep working the steps and have faith, good things do happen, it may not happen right away but it will happen in Gods time. The best part is, it may not even happen but we will have that inner peace the book talks about.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Return to Discussions