Who Benefited Most

For recovery discussion

Who Benefited Most

Postby FYI » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:31 am

Was it me, my wife or kids, my job, or some other person or thing, that benefited the most from my sobriety?
FYI
Trusted Servant

Re: Who Benefited Most

Postby Brock » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:31 pm

When I finally accepted the AA program it was for my benefit, sort of do or die, maybe a little for the wife’s benefit, to stop her nagging, but that was for my benefit as well since I was tired of hearing it. Typical alcoholic thinking about myself, and very little about anybody else.

I learned that to be successful I would need to put others first, now I believe that everybody benefits. But with continued spiritual growth and peace of mind, the benefit to me continues to grow, so I would say the alcoholic benefits more than anyone else.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:18 am

Everybody is a winner. Myself, my family and other close friends and other people. I include others because, a drinking alcoholic is a threat to society emotionally and physically. We are a burden to the state, unrecovered. A short trip to the jails and institutions and emergency ward would illustrate that. As I was bringing my daughter home I was mentioning about the struggles Louis went through to get out of the facility, she said, thank god that I didn't have to go through the ordeal. I am so grateful for the 12 steps AA and transformation that has brought to my family, we have a different outlook exactly like the promises states.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Tosh » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:20 am

FYI wrote:Was it me, my wife or kids, my job, or some other person or thing, that benefited the most from my sobriety?

Everyone, including society.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:25 am

Big question and for me at the time it was a small answer: Myself, my career and my sanity. Now being married my wife, step daughter, and grandkids have never known me as a drunk! Long term answers is like Tosh said; Society because society doesn't really care about me as much as they care that I am not causing trouble.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Trusted Servant

Return to Discussions