Sucess with Alcoholics/Drug Addicts at Correction Facility

For recovery discussion

Sucess with Alcoholics/Drug Addicts at Correction Facility

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:15 am

The correction facility we take meetings into hardly draws attendance, yet we go there to help few that are convinced. Recently an inmate came after 14 years of being in and out such facilities been exposed to some programs other than AA. Though there were several big books lying around, he grabbed a 3rd edition and he was attracted to the story "Five Time Loser Wins". It was about a person who was incarcerated several times but found hope in AA and turned his life around. Within 4 weeks, he already had his inventory done and ready to do his fifth.

I like the meetings at the facility because its small and we allow the people to atleast open up and share where they are at. And I feel they are more willing than the people attending regular meetings.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: Sucess with Alcoholics/Drug Addicts at Correction Facili

Postby clouds » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:23 am

I'm so glad people are still doing this.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Forums Long Timer

Postby waller_alkie » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:03 am

That is so wonderful. It makes my heart very happy.

Boy, it takes what it takes, doesn't it? Thank God you were there with the hand of AA when that guy was finally ready.

Thank you for sharing, avaneesh912. You made my morning!
The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
waller_alkie
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tosh » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:01 pm

avaneesh912 wrote:And I feel they are more willing than the people attending regular meetings.

Do you think that's desperation and a lack of other distractions?

We've TV, Netflicks, the internet, Playstation, Xbox, e-bay, Amazon, cake, etc, etc, etc.

There's all kinds of ways I can numb myself and not do the stuff I should be doing.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:40 am

They do have Television and opportunity to indulge in drugs (yes even in the correction facility). Two of them never been to an AA meeting. They came into the meeting with no pre-concieved idea about AA. Also helping us is, at this facility there is an inmate who is about 7 years sober and when he shares, he talks about how the program of AA worked in his life eventually after he fully embraced the 12 steps and how from 1983 he has been tossing in and out of AA and other 12 step fellowship and when got sentenced for 10 years for a small theft (repeat offender), he woke up. He is at peace, though he has couple of years more without parole. He realized the true powerlessness the last time. He loves the Big Book audio workshops so, most of the time he is in the facility he has the audio plugged in and he has blossomed into a wonderful being. The justice system unfortunately cant see the change in him and commute the sentence, he tried couple of times with the help of a church member.

The person who is ready is 4th, i believe the gentlemen was hungry for a solution and when he heard and saw the program work in other people, he just took it. He shares that whenever he picks the big book to read, there is a another guy gets all anxious and scream at his face "all you need to know is your true self" and discourages him to read and go to this Sunday meeting. And yet they roam around whining and pick fight with others. We just encourage this gentlemen to ignore those people and focus on our own recovery so we could be a light for the others. Last week an inmate left after being incarcerated for 9 times. He has been to NA before but never worked the 12 steps. He too worked the 12 steps (except for the amends part) and went out telling us that the moment he goes home, he is going to find a group and a sponsor and continue the work.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:16 am

Being on the inside only impedes freedom as drugs and other mischievous activity is available for a cost. I have a childhood friend that is locked up and is an alcoholic and swears next time he'll remain sober. Time will tell once he is fully out and doesn't have to look over his shoulder. He talks the talk and acts different and he is different than before and I mostly put up a shield of BS around me because most of the inmates are just saying what is necessary to be heard in order to get out sooner. Not all cases and a small few do get sober while locked up. I saw a lot of return offenders when I was taking meetings to jail and so eventually I just kept is to the point because I'd see a promise and they'd return and it was sad.

So miracles for a small few and we are that small few as well who have freedom.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:35 am

I have the greatest respect for those who do this sort of 12 step work. No doubt some inmates just participate because it’s something to do, and maybe looks good on their resume. But as was said, some take it seriously and will walk out and make their amends, hopefully as living examples of what AA prison outreach can achieve.

In my third world area, we have approached the prison authorities several times over the years, for permission to do this. We were never successful, and the main reason prison authorities don’t see the need for this, is they say the inmates can’t drink while in prison, so why would they need AA to help them not drink! Unfortunately, this is also what many in the general population of every country think AA is all about, attend meetings so you won’t drink.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:34 am

Happy to report that just few minutes ago, got a call from Louis the person who has been trying to get his sentence commuted, is out for good.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:29 am

avaneesh912 wrote:Happy to report that just few minutes ago, got a call from Louis the person who has been trying to get his sentence commuted, is out for good.

I hope he'll reach for the stars and learn a new life clean and sober as this man can be a mentor and also an example it works if we work it. :mrgreen:
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Return to Discussions