Progressive Sobriety?

For recovery discussion

Progressive Sobriety?

Postby FYI » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:20 am

Alcoholism is progressive, is sobriety progressive as well?

The forums will from time to time put up topics like this, in the hope that members will find them interesting enough to start a discussion.
FYI
Trusted Servant

Re: Progressive Sobriety?

Postby Mike O » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:51 am

I guess in some sense, yes.
For me, drinking progressively became the norm. As I've been applying the A.A. principles to my daily life, not drinking has become the norm for me. I find it has become progressively easier to not drink.
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby D-man » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:38 am

I have not had the same experience although I am new to sobriety.
I have gone 7 days then had a relapse. the next day I started over again 7 days then a drink.
I need to stop the cycle.
D-man
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:42 am

Welcome D-man! This is a good topic - keep coming and see what others have to add!

Hummm - it works when I practice practice practice... It almost seems like once I feel I have some defect licked, a different form of it will come to my self awareness and I then begin to work on that.

But yeah, after I became willing to do the work, it became easier. It has become a way of life.

Actually, I give a lot of credit to e-aa for this! I used the Daily Reflections and a position as a trusted servant here to help me start out my day, everyday, with prayer and meditation.

I think that with the holidays coming we might see a rise is visitors and drop in members... It can be hard to make contact with other alcoholics in the US during the winter & holiday season. I hope they join in some of these cool discussion topics!!!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby D-man » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:40 pm

Thank you Paige.
D-man
Forums Newcomer

Postby D'oh » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:45 pm

Welcome D Man, Keep coming, I was told "Bring the body, the Mind will follow" Meaning, it does get easier.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby tomsteve » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:23 pm

we claim spiritual progress, not perfection
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby positrac » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:49 pm

D'oh wrote:Welcome D Man, Keep coming, I was told "Bring the body, the Mind will follow" Meaning, it does get easier.

Well said.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:57 pm

This is a deep topic and I guess now with all the people wanting to identify with something other than the reality of being an addict and this means drunks as well. For me and even back in 1989 my early days of sobriety I don't think I was trying to identify with some kind of meaning. I do and did identify that alcohol was and is my problem and it is a mere symptom. That I can identify with and it is not heady or complicated.

I'll be interested to read more about this as I am willing to learn and be educated even if I am old school.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:03 am

I don’t suppose we get progressively more sober, but certainly things like thinking or dreaming about drinking stop happening. But if the word recovery was used, then I believe we could defiantly say that’s progressive.

There is a part in ‘into action’ that says - “We have entered the world of the Spirit. Our next function is to grow in understanding and effectiveness. This is not an overnight matter. It should continue for our lifetime.” So over our lifetime we should continue growing spiritually, my experience is just as drinking got worse and worse because of the progressive nature of the disease, the opposite happens in AA, life gets better and better because of the progressive nature of recovery. Some might just say not drinking or sobriety is enough, but they will be missing out on the programs promises, also in ‘into action’ they say - “We feel a man is unthinking when he says that sobriety is enough.”
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:46 am

I need to stop the cycle.

Yes, for some, it happens by Gods grace, some have to white knuckle it, some have to go to treatment/detox. Whatever it is, abstinence is important to launch the course of rigorous action. Cleaning up part. Once the obsession gets removed we could focus on the recovery part. But before we run out of Gods grace, we may want to work the 12 steps and progress.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Mike O » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:36 am

Yes. Abstinence is just the starting point, or it was for me, at least. It's important to remember this, though not everybody wants to hear it when they first come in.
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Db1105 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:09 am

We are given a daily reprieve based on our spiritual condition. I try to remember three steps forward and two steps back is still going forward.
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Return to Discussions