What Makes A Meeting Great?

For recovery discussion

Re: What Makes A Meeting Great?

Postby Brock » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:44 am

if anyone is really working there program then that is exactly the sort of attitude they would be having instead of complaining about how others find there help

I don’t really see anyone here “complaining” about how others find help, we have a right and duty to speak about things which we believe go against what the literature recommends. For example at every meeting we hear the preamble, and at very many also readings from ‘How It Works,’ so we hear this before the meeting (with a little emphasis added) -
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

Our stories disclose in a general way what we used to be like, what happened, and what we are like now. If you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it -- then you are ready to take certain steps.

So we hope people will say things to help others decide they ‘want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it.’ And if we believe that personal problems, or drunkalogs which offer no strength and hope, will not make others want what we have, then we have a right to say so.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby jenko » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:10 am

For me, and where I am at right now, I would say newcomers make a great meeting. I like seeing new faces.
Jennifer K. :)
jenko
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:16 pm

Db1105 wrote:I never know Who, or Through, or To, one's Higher Power speaks. It's all good.

My thoughts exactly!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby marthamaree » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:03 am

I have been going to a lunch time ID meeting in town which has a 5 min max. The chairperson waves a "one min left" sign at 4 mins. I like this meeting and I think it is great.
marthamaree
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Discussions