I am celebrating 5yrs sobriety!

For recovery discussion

I am celebrating 5yrs sobriety!

Postby DaveMus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:44 am

Today is my five year sobriety date. I am on a business trip working in a hotel and I almost forgot! But it hit me when I looked at the date and I am overcome with gratitude. When I went into treatment 5 years ago, I could barely dress myself due to my alcohol and prescription drug abuse combined with a disease I have been afflicted with for decades: MS. Today as I prepare for my meetings, I look back on the last 5 years with nothing less than astonishment. The moment I hit the treatment center at age 55, I knew it was my only chance to save myself. So, I dug in and worked. I was ready.

And yes, I am going to brag a bit! Since then, I have released 4 films, have released 3 albums (I am a musician and filmmaker) and just published a book of wildlife photographs. Two years ago I started a non-profit to help at risk kids get to make music and films. This is intentional AA related service work and very important to my sobriety. I have logged thousands of miles trekking and bicycling and climbed a 14,000 foot peak in Colorado on my 60th birthday. I am on track to break my record personal best of biking and trekking 2,020 miles for the year year. (I could barely walk from room to room 5 years ago)

I could not have this success without the initial and continuing principles put forth by the AA program and the support of my loving family and friends. No AA it is not a perfect program, and yes I quibble with some things about the program now and then, but make no mistake, AA is a very important tool in my continuing recovery.

So, apologies for the bragging! (Couldn't help it lol!) I want to thank all who post in this forum. I have just started posting and have been enjoying the posts for a while. I figured it was time for me to try and contribute something that might be useful...

I take it a day at a time and will not drink today! Have a great day all!
DaveMus
Forums Newcomer

Re: I am celebrating 5yrs sobriety!

Postby Roberth » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:46 am

Hello Dave, My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic....Congratz on 5 years
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Chelle » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:00 am

Welcome Davemus. Congratulations on 5 years of sobriety. Thank you for sharing your accomplishments. What a great testimony to the power of our program =biggrin
Chelle
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:59 am

I agree with Chelle, that's the sort of testimony AA needs and deserves, and well done on the five years.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Spirit Flower » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:15 pm

Congrats!!
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby marthamaree » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:47 am

congratulations! That is very inspiring. I am glad you posted it. I am day 6 and there are so many things I would like to do but obsessing about alcohol and feeling remorse takes up a lot of time. past tense.
marthamaree
Forums Enthusiast

Postby JohnDaniels » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:33 am

DaveMus wrote:Today is my five year sobriety date. I am on a business trip working in a hotel and I almost forgot! But it hit me when I looked at the date and I am overcome with gratitude. When I went into treatment 5 years ago, I could barely dress myself due to my alcohol and prescription drug abuse combined with a disease I have been afflicted with for decades: MS. Today as I prepare for my meetings, I look back on the last 5 years with nothing less than astonishment. The moment I hit the treatment center at age 55, I knew it was my only chance to save myself. So, I dug in and worked. I was ready.

And yes, I am going to brag a bit! Since then, I have released 4 films, have released 3 albums (I am a musician and filmmaker) and just published a book of wildlife photographs. Two years ago I started a non-profit to help at risk kids get to make music and films. This is intentional AA related service work and very important to my sobriety. I have logged thousands of miles trekking and bicycling and climbed a 14,000 foot peak in Colorado on my 60th birthday. I am on track to break my record personal best of biking and trekking 2,020 miles for the year year. (I could barely walk from room to room 5 years ago)

I could not have this success without the initial and continuing principles put forth by the AA program and the support of my loving family and friends. No AA it is not a perfect program, and yes I quibble with some things about the program now and then, but make no mistake, AA is a very important tool in my continuing recovery.

So, apologies for the bragging! (Couldn't help it lol!) I want to thank all who post in this forum. I have just started posting and have been enjoying the posts for a while. I figured it was time for me to try and contribute something that might be useful...

I take it a day at a time and will not drink today! Have a great day all!

Dave,

Congratulations on your 5 years of sobriety and for not giving up on all the things you've faced in your path. You're a very special man. I admire you very much on many levels, one is for the way you have faced your pains as lessons and have remained humble rather than letting your pains turn you into a mad man. You are an example to us all of the way AA and your spirituality can make us whole in spite of the pains we face.

Congratulations on your climbing, biking, your recordings and movies. Good on you buddy! You deserve to feel great about it all! I've had some similar health issues, but it's our recovery and attitude we're focusing on here ... when I walk each night with my wife I thank God with every single step I take ... and when her and I ride our recumbent bikes. I know you know what I mean. :wink:

Peace Brother
JohnDaniels
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Db1105 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:31 pm

Congratulations on your 5 years and thanks for sharing that!
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Postby positrac » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:29 am

Good for you because 5 years is a huge accomplishment and one to beware that you are growing and changing and knowing that at times out of the blue you can get hit with that urge to drink and what do you do? I hope for yourself you've got some kind of mental exit strategy to combat these random thoughts. If you have a sponsor I was sit down and talk about ideas and if you do then you are aware of how it works on all accounts.

rock on and have a great day.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Return to Discussions